View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
07/24/2019 7:45 pm

More tales..... so I've just completed "Kissed by a Rose" by SEAL on my acoustic. I practice a song until I think it's good enough to commit to video, I record the performance, file it, and then move on. That way I hope to build up a record of my long-term progress over the year/s.

Have just started "Li'l Red Rooster" as recorded by Howlin' Wolf. This is different for me as it involves slide on my electric. I'm enjoying it, about half way through now.

Problem is, I fear I have forgotten more songs than I know!! I look back on my previous videos and realise I couldn't play through a certain song like I have done before.

I guess I need to dedicate part of my practice to new songs, and part of my practice to "learnt" songs. Trouble is, I have very limited practice time, and I LOVE to learn new songs!!

Maybe one day I'll be in a position to spend more time practicing, and so will be able to dedicate sections of practice to retaining "old" songs in their entirety. It's a bit of a bummer to have to re-learn "from scratch almost" a song that you had down pat only a month or two previous.