View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

JohnGC
JohnGC
06/21/2019 5:49 am

[br]Just about qualify for this thread so here goes. Just started the beginners course after starting to learn the guitar 8 months ago at the age of 77 and loving it. The family allowed me to choose my Birthday present and I bought a nice Fender Squire Classic 70's Strat, as per my avatar, with a Boss Katana 50 Amp & a Reecho Mooer mini pedal. After buying all these new toys the family said in future they will decide what I get for my next Birthday lol. For the last 8 months I have been learning to play solo, Hank Marvings Shadows tunes , (Sleepwalk, Theme for young lovers, the Young ones & Apache ) using tabs and also learning a few chords. Decided I needed a structured course and after joining G.T realised Lisa McCormick's beginners lessons are excellent & motivating ( thank you Lisa ). I love the challenge of learning the guitar and get great satisfaction every time I progress a little at a time. I have a desire to go out on gigs ,( only joking, gigs are nearly always held past my bedtime anyway lol.) this is all obviously for pure personel enjoyment. One question regarding the chords I have already learnt, should I carry on playing them as per the Essential chords down load from G.T and learn new chords the same or should I do the simple chords as per Lisa's lessons ?