View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
06/17/2019 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Ddancer

The problem I may have, is I like the 50s, 60s, and some 70’s but I don’t see a big selection in that time period (R. Nelson, Elvis, R Orbison Everly Brothers etc.), still there’s a lot, and I will continue checking out songs and the beginners lessons to see what can help me get to the next stage.

I don't mean to take anything away from GT, I love it for the lesssons and the song library, but if you can't find a song here, I recommend Ultimate Guitar Tabs (the app and the site). For a small annual fee, you will have access to tons of songs. It won't teach you "HOW to play guitar", it doesn't have the lesson videos that GT has (which are awesome), but it has some great tools that, when mixed with all of the knowledge and basics that you will learn on GT, will allow you to teach yourself almost any song out there.

My two cents - use GT to learn everything that you need to know to learn "how" to play anything and to understand music theory and the design of the instrument itself, then you can use apps like Ultimate Guitar Tab to find sheet music, chord progressions and strumming patterns for a particular song.