View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
05/18/2019 1:12 pm

Well, at about a month short of 59 I guess I come in at about the upper middle of the pack. Not a bad place to be I suppose. I've always been interested in leaning guitar but was not always in the best position to devote the time required to learn. Job, kids, home repairs, etc. There's always an excuse to be found if you look for one I suppose...

I've been lurking around Guitar Tricks and a few other sites for a while but finally settled on GT largely due to what I perceive as a solid teaching method but also largely due to the support provided through this forum. The fellow member support here is fantastic but I find the level of participation and interest from the teachers themselves to be quite outstanding. I can't imagine that is the case on other sites and a major benefit in my mind.

So, what about me...Well, even though I've been here for a bit I'm only about half way through Fundamentals 1. Enjoying it, but need to devote more time. I'm finding that I really need to pay closer attention to my fretting hand (left) position to effectively execute some of the chords (finding C major to be a challenge). As I work though Fundamentals 1 I am also trying my hand at a few of the song tutorials, and and leaning by doing through that.

My interests are mainly rock but that can change from day to day based on a song I hear on a radio station or music service: Landslide-Fleetwood Mac, China Grove-Doobie Brothers, Highway to Hell - ACDC, you name it.

As with most folks I already have too many guitars: Norman B20 acoustic, Yamaha acoustic, Art and Lutherie Roadhouse parlour sized acoustic, Godin Richmond Empire electric and my wife's Stratocaster if she'll let me play it (she's trying to learn too).

Anyways, a long-winded way of saying that I'm having fun and am happy to be here largely due to the support found on this forum. Thank you all.

Now, I've got to get back to some practicing here. The guitar doesn't work unless it's in your hands. The question is, which guitar today...😀

Old Cat