View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/16/2019 9:19 pm
Originally Posted by: cekrauss

The resources available these days, just wow! ..

[p]Eighteen months ago in similar circumstances, that's the thing which really impacted my psyche when I decided to dive back into the water.

The availability of and options for tuition and hardware for learning and playing guitar today. Just wow! Compared with yesteryear, so much more accessible & affordable.

Your mention of "House of the Rising Sun" brought a smile to my dial. I suspect that was possibly the first song everyone of a certain age learnt to play through from beginning to end back in the day. First strummed, then arpeggiated. I thought the same as you when I picked up a guitar again for the first time after so long. 'Once upon a time, long, long ago' quite competent with that tune, and others.

Although it took about a day to recall the once familiar open fingerings once I brought home and explored my new instrument venturing over to JG for those first couple of tutes online, I couldn't actually finger properly or change from C to Am let alone finger F competently! "Oh my!" I thought. What have I bitten off?!!! Move along eighteen months, ..what was that initial concern about? Play it every way including sideways now, and sound like a Pro muso who's been doing so for years. You''ll be there too soon enough. Welcome back!