View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

bdonnach
Full Access
bdonnach
Full Access
04/16/2019 7:05 am

RE: I still can’t make a reliably clean chord change from Dm to F.

Can anyone? The F chord is appropriately named. I think it's the bane of beginners and intermediates alike. I came up with a cheat that works, but continue to work on getting it right. My hands are too small and chubby to do a finger one barre that covers the "f" and "c" note while reaching around the "e" and "b" strings to put finger two on "a" and finger three on "f".

My cheat is to use four fingers instead of three. Finger one hits the first fret of the "e" string (f) and finger two hits the second fret of the b string (c). This makes it quite easy to reach over the "e" and "b" strings with finger three to hit the second fret of the g string (a) and finger four on the third fret of the "d" string (f). This is enough to play a clean basic "f" chord. If I want to go full-on "f", I can reach around the neck to cover the first fret of the low "e" string with my thumb. I showed the cheat to my guitar instructor, who was first surprised; he hadn't seen it before. He said: "whatever works". Apparently, every guitarist has their own cheats.

Personally, the cheats are hopefully temporary. I'm still practicing the "f" chord each day in hopes that it starts to click.

bdphd