View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

bluekat58
Full Access
bluekat58
Full Access
04/10/2019 9:10 pm

Hey gang ~ I'll be 61 in May. I've had my nylon-string guitar (Sebastian) since 1973. Took lessons a few times when I was younger, but was too intimidated by the teachers. Six years ago I decided I was either going to learn to play or sell my beloved guitar. I started teaching myself from a book, practiced every day for 15 to 30 minutes, and made progress. A few years later I discovered Guitar Tricks, which was just non-threatening enough for me to use. I loved the Basics course (Lisa) and the Celtic tunes I found here. I really started making progress when I realized it was okay to play just for my own pleasure, with no expectations about performing for other people. (Horrible stage fright). [br][br]Now, I'm confident enough to play along with my husband and family when they get a jam session together. (The looping and jam tracks really helped with that.) My background is classical, but I love to try Celtic tunes, old pop songs, and even a little bit of Blues. I'm working on learning Travis Picking right now. [br][br]So glad I finally learned to play!