View post (robots in the mix)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
05/30/2018 11:43 pm

Nowadays I'm tending towards 'small venue' bands where it's clear it is all live. In the last few years, my wife and I have taken to seeing Tedeschi Trucks Band (NPR Tiny Desk Concert) a number of times in the last few years. It's real, it's tasty and as I'm getting older, kinda my speed.

Funny thing about disco, it was actually played most all of the time. Sure, performed live, depending on who you see, it was recorded stuff but lots of those bands were live. And all the old 70's R&B (EW&F, Commodores etc) were live and those bands could cook it up!

I do agree with the 'electronicization' of modern music. Kids can just pull up Garageband and become the next Deadmau5. Yippee..........I mean, I did this little ditty for a work video all with Apple loops (about 6 or 7 total loops) in about a day (I didn't have time to set up a whole recording so I just mucked out with loops until I hit on something). Came out decently but it just goes to show you that it is so easy to create without knowing how to play. You still have to know how to mix and all that stuff but still, it's not my music, really. Yes, I arranged and mixed the loops but it's not mine. Kinda the point. It's not me creating music. Arranger? Maybe.

In the end, it's all taking away music that you feel at a deeper level.