View post (become more rhythmic)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2017 1:06 pm
Originally Posted by: mbw1

I just was wondering about the backingtracks, because I was told that backingtracks will not improve your rhythmic feel, it will make it most worse because you will relay too much on the drummer, singer and so on in the backing track.[/quote][p]Playing with another musician might be preferable. But it's not always an option. Especially when you are just learning & not good enough to actually keep up with them. And what if the drummer or the other musician you are playing with has terrible time keeping skills?! That won't help you very much. :)

If you haven't developed good time keeping, then how can a backing track make it worse? I suppose you have to get used to playing with a live drummer, as opposed to the one on the backing track. But you have to do that when you play with different drummers or musicians anyway.

So, backing tracks are just one possible tool to use. They can help you, but only as much as you practice. They certainly can help your rhythmic playing if you use them to honestly assess your playing.

[quote=mbw1]

But with a mentrome you will develop a inder clock and a better feel for rhythm, is that true?

[p]A metronome is an invaluable time keeping tool, primarily because it is an independent, objective reference point. It's already difficult to focus on keeping your fingers going & remembering all the things you are trying to play. And then on top of all that you have to really focus & being honest about whether or not you are in time. A metronome takes care of that for you!

It says over & again: THIS IS THE BEAT. And if you aren't keeping good time, you can tell right away.

A backing track can be more fun. Because you can play along with some music! For years, before tracks were available, I, & other musicians, would just play along with recordings, albums, tapes, whatever! It was an objective reference point. It was a challenge of course, when I'd play the song with live musicians instead of the recording, there would be difference! We had to keep all the time & remember all the parts instead of relying on the recording. But playing with the recording was an invaluable learning process. Without it, we might never have gotten good enough to make the next step.

So, if you play a song with a metronome, then you are on your own to remember where the changes in the song happens. But at the same time, how will you know if you got the changes right? That's when a backing track can come in handy.

Bottom line, they are just different tools for time keeping. Any tool is only a good as the work you do with it. A metronome can be better for scales or repetitious practicing. A backing track can help you play along with a song structure.

If you learn a song by playing along with a track, then you go to play it with a band and they play it slightly differently or with a different ending, then you can't blame the track! Playing with the track got you to a certain point and playing the different version with the band is another, separate learning experience.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory