View post (Dont hate your guitar, hate the strings.)

View thread

kvsealegs
kvsealegs
06/26/2016 6:42 pm

Eric Clapton plays Phosphor Bronze on his HD-28. I can't deny that he makes his guitar sound awesome. One day when I am feeling adventuresome I may give your Everly's a try. It is quite likely that every type of string lends itself more to a particular style of play. As a beginner, I am mostly strumming, but beginning to get into finger picking and flat picking melodies. I was disappointed in my HD-28 when my inexpensive Yamaha FX700 would sound better when strumming out a song. I now understand that the HD excels when finger picking or flat picking melodic riffs. I am now attempting to match the abilities of my guitar with my own ability.

It would be awesome if there were a string comparison site that compared the different strings on the popular types of guitars with the various style of play. I found a YouTube comparison of a brand of strings using all the different gauges. It encouraged me to go to a lighter string.

I'm using ErnieBall Earthwood 80/20 on the FX and Martin 80/20 on the 000-15M. Both extra lights. I don't notice a "huge" difference in loudness or broacast, and the sustain is really nice. And it seems that I can consistantly get that second string to ring with my barre chords.

I tried the Dean Markly Blue Steel on my Les Paul and did not care for them. I then tried the Elixer Nanoweb and my opinion is (meh). I will check out the D'Addario's.

Thanks for your thoughts...