View post (A Conversation)

View thread

earthone
earthone
01/09/2015 10:26 am
Hi, All

A conversation on song writing.

I've found the muse finds you and your passion for the guitar allows us the ability to express our emotions though riffs, lyric and song writing.

Myself after finding the song inspiration I try to stay to a theme: Example I just wrote a Christmas song ( What a hopeful, joyful Christmas). My theme being Christmas Eve and the hope of the new year.

I then framed the song in upbeat major scale " yours could be a dark minor key" that accompanies your lyric's. I then followed the I IV V progression in the scale for a turnaround to each verse.

For continued structure I followed an A B progression with an intro and ending without a bridge.

I built the lyric up both by rhyming and meter (Count of each syllable for each line being the same).

I then edit and re edit making sure the song tells a story progression and each line strengthens the next and supports the chorus.

I'm now at the stage of recording by finding my tempo, drum line and additional instruments to add to my DAW's. Along with changing to piano over the guitar for the recording.

Well that brings me back to me and you can see I'm pragmatic in my writing approach which works for me. So with that said I hope this helps someone in their approach to writing. I also hope you never give up as music is our soul and getting your soul out there is the heart beat of a song writer.

Earthone.