View post (Boston Series)

View thread

jtarpo
Full Access
jtarpo
Full Access
01/09/2015 7:30 pm
Mike, first of all as a new subscriber I want to thank you for doing what you do. With all that talent you have, you also love to teach, and you do it as well as anybody on the site.

I consider the main lead in Hitch'in a Ride to be one of the most melodic and inspiring in all of music and have been looking forward for many years to the day when I could play it. I'm in the middle of that process now. I may have skipped a couple of learning gradients to get right to that, but I'm just too fascinated by the work that Boston did on that track.

My question is this: How did you figure out that entire song including the lead? I feel there are certain parts of it that aren't all that decipherable in the mix. Some of the chords are tough to figure out exactly. Was this an easy task for you? I'm amazed.

I use a nice program called Transcribe to work on learning songs but I can usually only get about 85% of the song down. Is this limitation simply related to my "guitar vocabulary" and will improve, or are some musicians just more gifted in transcribing ability?

Keep up the excellent work,
Jim