View post (Boston Series)

View thread

ctredwin
Full Access
ctredwin
Full Access
11/25/2014 10:56 am
Hi Mike.

Totally agree with the Boston sentiments. I've learned 3 of these songs so far; they're quite challenging, in terms of the arrangement as much as the individual parts, but great fun once you get there. Also, it's interesting to learn multiple songs by the same band, and get more familiar with that style of playing.

I have one problem. (Not unique to Boston songs, but the multi-layered guitars on the backing track do seem to exacerbate this a bit.) On my home set up, I have a lot of trouble getting the guitar and backing track to balance out well. I find I need to have the backing track cranked up, so that I can hear the track (especially the rhythm section) clearly. But that tends to drown out my guitar playing. If I crank up my amplifier to compensate, I can't hear the bass and drums on the track so well, and so I often lose time.

The jam along track is easier (less sound to compete with), but then it doesn't sound as good with only one guitar playing.

Are there any tips you can think of to optimize things? My home set up is pretty basic: just a small amplifier for the guitar, and the backing track played on either my laptop or the iPad.

Regards,
Chris