View post (Should a band have a leader?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/19/2014 8:58 pm
Lots of interesting thoughts, ideas, and insights in this thread. I'll be sure to apply them to the next project I come upon :-). Last week I emailed the other 2 people involved in the band and said I was very frustrated and had to bow out. The last straw for me was when band rehearsal was cancelled out of the blue. Turns out this was done because too much pressure was being put on song selection. Ugh!

As I reflected over the weekend after rehearsal was cancelled, I thought about what made it work at the music school. I remembered how even then my suggestions and attemps at facilitating decisions on song selection fell on deaf ears. Zak, you mentioned that your band couldn't decide on a name - we had the same problem. For our first gig, we were "The Band with No Name". Again, I tried to facilitate a decision and threw out some ideas...nothing. At the last minute, I suggested something - nobody objected, so at the last minute I had our name put down as something else. I was the only one that seemed to be embarassed to be called "The Band With No Name" again :-(. It was cute the first time, but come on...

So it was then that I realized this problem existed long ago and didn't come about just because we cut loose from the school. It was likely to not change either and I was setting myself up for frustration and dissapointment.

This decision has either pissed my former bandmates off royally, or they just don't care because I haven't heard a single word from them in a week.

I have friends that are gigging musicians, so now that they have seen what I can do, maybe I'll come up with a gig - even if it is just sitting in for a song or two here and there.