View post (Should a band have a leader?)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
05/08/2014 3:28 pm
Hey Maggior - Predictably, you got a lot of good advice here. All valid. I do think most bands benefit from a shepherd of sorts. Finding 3-4 people who share your vision for a band can be quite difficult ( I've been looking for years). Picking tunes needs to be a very deliberate process based on: (IMO) Ability to pull them off vocally. Matching difficulty level to your collective playing ability. Picking songs people would enjoy hearing (ie; familiar songs). Pick tunes that feature the same instruments you have (if you don't have someone on keys, pedal steel, etc - don't pick songs with a significant presence of those instruments). Ability to pull them off vocally (worth repeating).

I get that your feeling a little frustrated - I think I would be too. I think you definitely play well enough to be in a group but maybe there's a chemistry/vision issue going on that may not allow for a long term project ? I guess , in the meantime, have as much fun as you can and maybe keep one eye open for a project that fits better?

Good luck - Take care