View post (Should a band have a leader?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/07/2014 12:59 am
As many of you know, I was in a band project run by a local music store/school. It had it's bumps, but with our mentor (instructor), things always kept moving forward.

3 of us are trying to keep things going since we had so much fun. It's been almost 4 weeks and we are frankly floundering. No matter how I have tried, we cannot even agree on songs to work on. The problem we should be having is narrowing them down :-).

So, it occurred to me today that our mentor was acting as the band leader. He had final say on what songs we did. He decided when we had it down or had to keep working on it.

I also think back when I was in the church choir. The piano player was the choir director (band leader). It went very very well until somebody else came in and took over. They were not a good leader, things floundered, and they fell apart.

I see it with projects at work too.

So, is it common for a band (just for fun and gigging/making money) to have a designated leader?

I'm thinking of suggesting to my bandmates that this is the case, but I thought I'd throw it out here as a sanity check.