View post (2014 Les Paul Studio Pro vs. Studio)

View thread

maggior
maggior
04/18/2014 1:47 am
So today I went into a local guitar center that had both the PRS S2 Mira and Les Paul Studio Pro in stock. After 1.5 hours, I couldn't decide which one I liked better. My wife and kids were growing understandably impatient, so I told the sales guy I had to sleep on it. We talked about other PRS models and the Custom 24 caught my eye. Even though it had a trem, I figured I'd give it a shot.

This guitar spoke to me - immediately I though "wow, this is nice". The scale length, the double cutaway, it all just felt nice in my hands. It's clean tone was pretty good, but boy did it sound nice with some gain on the amp! The trem on this is so much better than on my strat. If I bend a note and play a non bent note at the same time, the non bent note doesn't change pitch. It basically plays like a fixed bridge even though it has a trem. Nice!!!

The black cherry finish was *gorgeous* with a very nicely figured top. The only problem was it was quite "shelf worn". Totally covered in fingerprints, out of tune off the wall, knob missing off the pickup switch. As a matter of a fact, every PRS was in the same condition. On one, the switch had play in it! So much for having them in the "platinum room" to keep them nice.

I was not going to spend $1400 on a new guitar that for all intents and purposes was used! I was going to see if I could score a deal due to the condition of the guitar (basically blemished at this point IMO), but there was a line of people with equipment to trade in and no sale person available. So, out the door I went! Ugh!

I'm going to sleep on it, but most likely I'll be placing an order with Sweetwater tomorrow. I like how you get to see the actual guitar you are ordering. I was able to choose between 2 of them with very different figure patterns.

I hate that I "showroomed" at GC, but I had every intention of buying. But very few stores carry PRS and I'm not driving all over creation hoping to find one that hasn't been played 500 times and missing pieces. I've bought 3 other guitars at this store...I don't know what's happened. Very disappointing.

The Les Paul was nice...a gorgeous looking guitar, but didn't wow me as I played it. I wanted it to...

Store issues aside - PRS impressed me. Gorgeous looking and very playable instruments!

I'm glad they introduced the S2 line. There was a HUGE gap before between the American made and Korean made instruments. The S2 sits nicely in the middle.