View post (2014 Les Paul Studio Pro vs. Studio)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/10/2014 8:07 pm
So I'm researching guitars and looing for a replacement for my faded LP Studio. Basically I want something with humbuckers with an LP sound. I checked out a lot of videos demoing PRS and I just didn't like the sound...it was like it tried to sound like an LP or sound like a strat (with coil taps engaged), but didnt' quite do either. I think a better approach would be for it to just sound like itself.

So it got me thinking if I want LP sound, just get an LP. Standards are just too expensive and Traditionals are too heavy. So I came back to the studios. For 2014, they have the studio and studio pro. The differences I see are a maple neck vs. mahagony neck. Grover tuners vs. klusen. Burstbucker Pro vs. standard 490T/R pickups. Gigbag vs. hard case.

These differences seem relatively minor, but there is about a $500 difference in price. The finishes seem the same and the selection of colors are very similar - including some 'bursts (tobaccoburst, sunburst, desertburst, etc.).

Does anybody have any experience between these 2 guitars? Eventually I'll get to a store where I can try these out, but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on if the additional money for the Studio Pro was worth it.

The Pro has a mahagony neck, the other is maple. Which is better? I would have thought maple. I love the maple neck on my strat. Maybe it's a matter of how it is finished.