View post (Joining a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
01/27/2014 6:19 pm
This may sound silly or pretentious, but I wonder which of my guitars I should bring (Strat vs. LP studio)? I think it would be bad form to walk in with both of my guitars. I can't imagine I'll be able to switch guitars during our 3 or 4 song set during our final performance. So I think I'm going to have to pick just one.

When I'm practicing on my own, I switch off every other day so I don't find myself able to play something comfortably on only one guitar. I'm also trying to really hone in on the sound and feel of each one so I can make intelligent decisions on which to use in a given situation.

I'm leaning toward bringing my strat because its tuning is more stable and it's a little more versatile tone wise. I also don't have a hardshell case for my LP, so I'm not too keen on bringing it out in just a gig bag.

It will feel strange to me because I'll be in a practice situation where I can't go grab a different guitar if I feel the need. I'll also be playing through an unfamiliar amp, so I'll have to deal with that too. I'm sure this is all part of the experience :-).

Thoughts?