View post (Blues jam in Bm)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
01/07/2014 5:47 am
Originally Posted by: maggiorBummer.

I tried doing something similar using my Tascam recorder. I could never get a good balance between the backing track and the guitar even when using a camera stand to position it in the middle of the room. That's why I gave up on that and went with a multitrack recording solution.

That sounds complicated, but it not as much as you would think. You don't need a multitrack sound card, you need a soundcard that will support full duplex which means you can hear what's being recorded in real time. Your PC may even support this right now. I use Adobe Audition 3, which can be had for free now from Adobe. There is also Reaper which is pretty cheap and Audacity which is free.

Only problem with this is it assumes you can download the backing track to incorporate it as a track in your software. The backing tracks for the song lessons on guitar tricks can't be downloaded, so you end up having to look elsewhere.

Good luck with your second go at it tomorrow.

I've tried Audacity before, and honestly, I wasn't too pleased with it. I simply found it too bothersome to use. I've never heard of Adobe Audition, but I have lots of great experiences with Adobe's software, so I think I'll try that out. I'm pretty sure there was a Download Link where I found the backing track, so it shouldn't be that big a problem. If nothing else, I can have the computer play the backing track so I can hear it, and have the Mic record my own playing only and then adjust the volumes accordingly afterwards. How hard can it be?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...