View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
11/15/2013 8:47 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1What I think of a songs attitude would be like you have and annoying sibling that wants you to play and you need to practice guitar.
First time They ask play you kindly reply, "sorry I'm busy"
The second time You say. a little louder, "I'm busy."
The third time you are up-set and scream, "I told you I'm busy"
Look up voice, tempo and dynamics

Terms can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_musical_terms_used_in_English#Voices
Keep working at it, you'll get it

Good analogy. It's hard to describe but it's real. It's also like when you see somebody walking with an attitude - they are just walking, but you can just tell they've got an attitude.

Think about making your guitar growl, cry, scream, wail, etc...like your voice. Bending, rakes, muting, varying your pick attack...these are tools you can use to give your playing attitude. As I learn some more Eagles songs, I'm finding that Joe Walsh is a good example of a player that plays with attitude - he can make his guitar growl like no other. Joe Perry for Aerosmith is another. Joe Bonamassa can get hit attitude on. Not a big GnR fan (I know, that's probably blasphemy to you kasperow :-), but Slash strike me as the type of player who would play with attitude. Watch some vidoes of SRV playing in the early days - it's like a physical assult on his guitar - amazing with tons of attitude! And let's not forget Jimmy Page who would strut with his guitar.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I find that if my playing becomes more animated with my picking and strumming, my sound relects that. I'm not talking about jumping around or windmilling arm (just not my personality), but hitting the strings a bit harder or picking with a little flourish in my picking strokes.