View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
09/28/2013 10:44 pm
Hey everybody

I've got a minor problem whenever it comes to writing songs, and I'm hoping someone here has some advice on how I get past it. I have tried doing some songwriting in the past few months, but I always find it incredibly difficult to come up with great lyrics for a song, or even not-too-shabby ones. Everytime I sit down with my laptop and say "Here we go, I'm gonna write a great song", I end up staring at a blank screen for hours before giving up, or end up with something that even a 4-year-old kid could write better and I decide to erase it because it's that badly written.

So I'm asking: Is there a great way to learn to come up with great lyrics on the spot? I've read that Sweet Child O' Mine was written in just 5 minutes (not sure if it's true, though), and Smoke On The Water just narrates an incident that Deep Purple witnessed. Those two examples make it seem so simple. It may just be that I'm suffering from Writer's Block (which I won't deny is a possibility), but I find it to be a real problem coming up with any half-way decent lyrics. Any advice is highly appreciated.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...