View post (travelling and guitar practice)

View thread

sixties_kid
sixties_kid
02/10/2013 11:33 am
Dear all,

I need some advice and guidance please. Anybody travel and take their guitars with?
In my work I do a lot of international travel ie flying. This kinda interferes with regular practice and whilst I can look at the tutorials on the site, work with Tab to figure out songs or read the various theory books etc I'm just not getting enough hands on time!
So, the question is - how risky is it taking your geetars a travelling?
I have a very solid case for my (large) acoustic but it would have to go hold luggage and I don't care how solid it looks that worries me! I know you can put these items in for special handling but does anybody have good/bad feedback on this?
Alternatively my SG [copy only!] has a smaller a more user friendly case that would go cabin luggage. Now the issue is I don't fancy lugging even a small amp around so anybody have suggestions for a nice playing experience when I get to the other end? I know you can play them unplugged but if there is an alternative! I've seen some interfaces for plugging the guitar into a PC via USB so any comments on these.
Last - and least - I have seen some wacky folding 'portable' guitars - both acoustic and electric - but forking out for more kit would not go down well with the 'CFO' and anyways I'm saving for a nice Les Paul so I need the budget!
your thoughts and comments are welcome
rgds
Lawrence