The Whys and Hows of Building a Repertoire

Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
01/26/2015 4:54 pm
I agree with Rich here - there's too much emphasis on learning how to reproduce other people's songs on an overly-precise note-for-note basis. Audiences will usually be happy to listen to a new version of a classic song - after all they would have stayed at home with their CD's if they were only interested in the original track!
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/26/2015 5:14 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI'll assume you are throwing this question out to everybody...

Actually, I did :)

I assume by "key parts of a solo" you mean something like the last two or three licks in the "Smoke On The Water" solo? I've heard maybe 20 different live-versions of that song, and the only thing that either Ritchie or Steve plays identical every single time is the last three licks. The rest is improvised every single time! Even on the 1995-remaster of Machine Head, Steve Morse changed the solo, but kept those last three licks from Ritchie's solo there, because people expect to hear these licks at the end of the solo! And honestly, it's also the only part of the solo that I've bothered with learning yet...

I agree that people may be more interested in hearing something slightly new, even when hearing a cover. I've yet to learn even a single solo (not quite true, if you count the first interlude in GNR's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"-cover as a solo, but other than that, I've yet to learn any solos...), but since I mainly play Classic Arena Rock, learning the solos isn't strictly necessary, as even the bands that wrote the songs always improvise the solos anyway :) Learning to play the right solos is only needed if I want to impress people or if I find that the original solo just fits perfectly (like "Comfortably Numb". That solo is one of the best I've ever heard).

For simpler stuff like "Rock And Roll All Night" by Kiss, "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, "Tush" by ZZ Top or "Peace Of Mind" by Boston (yes, I called Boston "simpler"), I can get away with just learning the Riffs and the most important, easily recognizable parts for solos, to quickly expand my repertoire. That much I can understand. Shouldn't take long to get some easy Classic Rock-songs down if I can just learn the important riffs and the key-parts of the solos :)

I think I'll try and see how two songs at a time goes. If it goes well, I'll throw in one more, and keep the ones I already know at the level they're already at, and if anything, get them tighter and improve my timing on them :) I'll start with some of the simpler songs I want to learn, and hopefully, when the next Open Mic night comes around, I'll actually have enough Classic Rock songs to feel confident enough to go up on the stage :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
01/27/2015 5:41 am
Kasperow,

I have found for the most part people do not really learn the words to most songs and that is the level most people interact with a song at. Yes they can sing along as the radio plays, but remove the radio and the words are gone.

So that screaming lead that we "guitar players" listen to is passed over by the masses. It means less to them than the words, so other than a couple of key spots it's just a sound they bop their heads to.

Which brings me to learning the rhythm is the most important part to please the masses. It is the part their heads bop to. They lift their heads and look when the guitar player hits those couple of notes or the singer does a run they like. Hey, its not good music if their feet are not moving with the rhythm. Right?

That's why leads are called embellishments its stuff added to make the song enjoyable to those that play instruments. Those that do not play say things like "I wish that guy would stop pulling on the strings like that and turn down, I can hardly hear the beat.

I think that's why so many three chord song make it big. Non musicians just listen to the rhythm and beat.

"Taking Care of Business" by BTO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4sI5DG5sjc
and "Keep on Rocking Me Baby" by Steve Miller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHtJJ1Fgjs
are played the same way 90% of the time. I play them both using B, A and E. The rhythm of the right hand is different and the licks played between the verse and the chores are different. But the mechanics of the left hand is the same through the verses.

Same left hand mechanics playing A, D and E can be "Johnny Be Good".

"Wild Thing" by the Troggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hce74cEAAaE
Is another classic that is easy to play, but has subtleties that when perfected will open up another rhythm that is part of a bunch of other songs. Play a three finger power chord and play G, A, G, A as the singer says wild thing you move me. But I want to know for sure. Hold me tight thing. You move me. Chores A, D, E, D repeat.

All four of those songs always got people up and on the floor. To me they are on the same classic level as "Smoke on the Water".
# 3
mrmyth
mrmyth
05/05/2015 11:22 pm
Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is very inspiring and informational. I read it and have been thinking about it and integrating some of this message into my guitar playing and other things. I actually got panicked when I went to re-read it and couldn't find it. I had originally read it while being an email reading zombie and had no idea when I found it or where. Glad to have found it again. Thank you.
# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/28/2017 2:44 pm

I like to consider myself a song writter. I love great lyrics and melodys! However... I have always maintained that the vocal performance, the words, the melody, the lead, the harmonic structure are all just there to keep the mind destracted so the bass and drums can slip in and work their magic on peoples bodies! Once you get their ass moving the rest is easy.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.