View post (The Whys and Hows of Building a Repertoire)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
01/26/2015 2:49 pm
I know this is an old thread, but last Friday, I went to check out a local Open Mic night, just to see how exactly it works, and while I didn't get myself up there the first time, I learned a couple of valuable things. First off, the venue used to be full on Open Mic nights, but no longer is because the audience and performers don't match up. Second, good Classic Rock is in huge demand where I live, but the only band playing on Open Mic nights for the last two years is a sloppy Thrash Metal Cover-band.

This leads to the point of this post... I love to listen to Classic Rock, I love to play Classic Rock, but I don't think my repertoire is big enough to actually justify stepping up there next time and playing some of my favorite tunes yet. I suspect that next time will be in a month or so, so I've got some time to learn the riffs to some more songs, but I obviously want to learn as many classic tunes as possible before then... So my question is: How many songs do you recommend that I work on at a time? I've read a lot of different opinions on the Internet. Some say two, others say as many as possible. What number would you recommend that I work on at the same time for the best possible results?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...