View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

bkap1
bkap1
03/13/2015 6:00 pm
Ok I've been at it for 50 years at varying levels of intensity. I have studied with teachers and I am probably a better teacher than player. My talent is persistence.

Now at 70 and retired with plenty of time. I am doing a fair amount of speed building. I have always been taught that the faster you are, the easier it is to improvise.

So about six months ago I started. I couldn't do major scales, sixteenth notes at 80 BPM. Now I can do scales at around 100 BPM. I can do bursts of 4 to 8 notes at 120 BPM. I can do eighth note triplets at 120.

I use the GT metronome. Using the auto increase BPM I increase 4 BPM every 4 measures. Once I could do 80 BPM I would do scales and modes from 80 to 100. Now I am working from 120 to 140.

I think the biggest obstacle to progress is I am also continuing to learn new songs, usually from the 50's to 70's. (Too many songs not enough time.)

Another obstacle is I have been doing this alone for 50 years. Limited opportunities to play with others is a serious impediment to progress.

At our age we need to keep moving these fingers.