View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

Lana2
Lana2
11/27/2011 8:53 pm
Hmmm, it seems to me that most of us are about the same age and just starting out with guitar. I spent a couple of months in my early teens strumming a bit, and stopped. Bad mistake. LOL. My mother (69) started playing only 2 yrs ago, and urged me to take it up again. So after 5 half hour lessons, lots of studying books, videos, lesson websites, I am now playing.
I went to visit with my mom a month ago, and she was trying to teach me things she had learned. My guitar was not tuned properly, my electronic tuner was no good, my guitar stand and book stand weren't good quality, and after trying for about 1 hr to play her way, we were both so frustrated that we stopped. This was a 2 nite stay, and we were both really looking forward to jamming together. Yeah, sure. Needless to say, I waited to the 2nd day... and picked up my guitar and started playing the way I'd been practising... after about 4 songs, she came out and said Wow, you can play Sounded pretty good. Now, I know I might not be playing properly, I don't have good rhythm for strumming, but, I like how I sound for a beginner. Just keep practising, read and watch everything, and get your own rhythm. Have fun. Just remember... You aren't doing it for others, you are doing it for YOU!