View post (Fretlight Guitars)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/27/2011 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Razboha ha, SL has a thing against China products I think. :)

Sort of. I used to buy electronics without really worrying about them having issues, especially more expensive stuff. Just about two years ago, I bought a Korg D3200 recording console. Long story short, it had a part malfunction, turned out to be a common issue, there was lots of reports on-line about it. The repair guys were just like "made in China dude" and I had to fight like bloody hell with a completely unapologetic Korg to get it warrantied. I'm a bit of dinosaur, and back in the day when you bought an amp like a Fender or a Peavey, there was no "oh yeah, it might, er, probably will blow up 2 weeks after you buy it". I mean, stuff was just bullet proof back then. Electronics in general seemed to last forever. I was really interested in the Fender Princeton re-issue, until I read it was made in China, and that people were having all kinds of problems with it. And this with an amp that costs $1000!! I bought a british built Laney Lionheart instead. It cost the same and is built like a tank.

But enough hijacking this thread. Back to the Fretlight, you're probably safe as far as functionality goes. They do warranty their products, and there were guys saying they had returned guitars for exchanges with no problems, and then a few who said they did have issues with returns, so a bit of a mixed bag, but most of the reviews in regards to warranty were positive.

I think Razbo, you're nailing it with the "wouldn't want to gig with it". Also, the real key is being able to visualize patterns on the fretboard. I wonder if seeing the dots there helps with that, or if its more like training wheels, when the lights go out, you're lost. I'd love to hear from someone who bought one... lets all chip in a $100 and send it to each other for 2 months at a time???