View post (Fretlight Guitars)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/27/2011 5:09 pm
If you do a search on-line, you'll find lots of reviews that basically say the quality isn't there for these guitars. Keep in mind they are made in China, and that the fretboard isn't actually wood. They always have plenty of "factory error" models available on Ebay, so the idea that the quality is questionable certainly seems to true. Also, I've noticed that Fretlight is ultra-agressive about going after anyone that posts negative reviews about their product.

Still, I've always wondered about these guitars in terms of learning scales, but I don't know how helpful it would really be to have the frets light up. I would imagine it would be far more useful as teaching tool, so that instructors could show their students where the notes are on the fretboard all at once, rather than just one note at a time.

I did a lot of research on-line, and if you decide to go for one, you might want to think about getting the lowest base model. I think you can get these for about $300. The reviews I read said the pricer "Pro" models did not play well, and weren't worth the extra money. Sometimes on Ebay they have the older used versions, the ones that didn't require a computer, but just had a little dial on the guitar. One of those for a couple of hundred bucks might be an option.