View post (Lyrics is part of Song Writing - Writing Tips)

View thread

SweetInnocence
SweetInnocence
12/03/2010 1:36 am
Ok, so I know people out there are having troubles writing the music part of a song, but people have trouble with lyrics as well, and even tho the lyrics seem easy to write, they're not. I am going to explain a method of writing lyrics that makes it sound more simple than it really is.

-What to do when thinking of a song idea-
Ok, so right here, this is where you start, the "Topic" or "Song Message." As you go through life trying to think of a song to write, you find that it is hard. It's easier than you think. Don't try to make up something that people want to hear in a song, think of something you want in a song. If people want a love song, you don't have to write a love song. A song is supposed to be an expression of how YOU feel personally. If you are angry, write a song about it. If you are happy, writ a song about that. There's a whole world of possibilities every step you take in life. You don't even have to write it about your life, you can write it about someone else' life like Craig Morgan did in his song "This Ain't Nothing" where he talked about a man he saw on the news whose house was destroyed in a tornado, but told about everything that showed something like that was nothing compared to what he's been through(losing his dad in a mine, his wife in his hands, and his best friend and little brother in the Vietnam War). As you go through life, write down things that happen, even if you think it's small. Music can change lives even with something so small to you. Music is the most influential thing in our world, and is very powerful. Things that most people write about in their lives are Break-Ups, but you don't have to write about that. There's thousands of options, so choose one!

-What to write first-
The Chorus! The most important part in a song is the chorus. Write the chorus first, and that will help you write the rest of the song! Some song's start with the chorus, some song's change the chorus. If your song starts with the chorus, you can just keep writing down from there, and write "Chorus" above the chorus and wherever you want the chorus to be placed. If your chorus changes like in my song "Follow You," write one of the chorus' and it makes it easier to figure out where to place it and everything else to write. Here is the Chorus' to the song "Follow You," where my chorus changes each time:

1st Chorus
"I~I will survive
I~I will hear your cry
I'll walk to you
And follow you till
I~I
I di~i~ie"

2nd Chorus
"I~I will survive
U~Until I hear your cry
I'll run to you
And follow you to
The~e
The gra~a~ave"

3rd Chorus
"I~I have not survi~i~ived
I~I heard your cry
I ran to you
And followed you
Into~o~o
The li~i~ight"

I'm guessing you're wondering what the "~" was for. The "~" was used to signify that a vowel is lengthened by 1 second. You have probably noticed where I put something like this "a~a~a," and that is to say after lengthening the vowel, you say it again. When you write a song on paper, you can do something like putting a "^" over a vowel as it lengthens or just as it's normal to signify that the pitch raises or "v" under a vowel to signifying the pitch lowering.

-What to do after writing a Chorus-
After writing your Chorus, write the Verses. What is a Verse? A verse is what explains more things in a song, and usually they are never repeated, but are just as important as the Chorus. A Verse usually starts off a song. Writing the verse is harder to do without having a chorus for the base.

-Is that it?-
No, I have one more thing to add. The "Pre-Chorus." Sometimes, but not normally, there is a "Pre-Chorus" in a song, and what a pre-chorus is for is like the chorus, and you repeat it, but you never change this one, and it always comes before the Chorus.

That's all I have today, cya l8r ;)