View post (reading music)

View thread

trebledamage
trebledamage
02/22/2002 3:28 pm
There is a decent music reading book out there put out by the Musician's Institue authored by David Oaks. I forget the exact title, but it's probably easy to find with the above information(It's not a very old book and I believe MI has a catalog of other books). I thought that particular book was a pretty good book for someone who wanted to learn how to read music, but was not a pure beginner at playing the guitar (The rest of the stuff put out by MI that I have seen has been relatively unimpressive). I like the book because it really focuses on single note positional playing and developing your eye for reading and playing complex rhythm patterns. I used the book to help improve my music reading skills. I knew how to read music to a certain extent from many years of playing trumpet as a kid, but I always had trouble transfering that knowledge to the guitar. In any event, check out the book and let me know what you think. If you can't find it with the above info, let me know and I'll try to dig the book out of the closet and get you the exact title.
:cool: