View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
02/12/2001 5:07 am
See, it would be easier if we simply thought of who our FAVOURITE guitarist is, rather than who is the best. Then it is clearly noting that you are simply saying who you like most, who has influenced you, who created that need for playing guitar in you, without suggesting that they are the BEST. In that case, I would have no trouble in listing
1. Jimi Hendrix: The man who inspires me with greats such as machinge gun, Hey Baby, Pali Gap, Hear My Train a coming. He is the biggest influence for me.
2. The Edge: I love U2, and The Edge's sound is great. An innovater rather than technically brilliant, I think a great example of making guitar fit into a musical context, and cmplementing the band rather than dominating.
3. John Fruiscante (spelling?): Some of the Chili peppers stuff is ultimate funk, I love it. Savior is a great example of great guitar sound.
4. Bob Dylan: Actually, I think he is a crap guitarist, but I love his music, and he is my biggest musical influence so I will include him anyway. Possibly shows what someone can do with limited technical ability, but a genius nonetheless.
5. Eric Clapton: no explanation needed.
6. Robert Johnson: I have put him here to stand for all the blues greats that I love, this guy had a SOUL (though he sold it).
7. Daniel Callabro (from The Grand Silent System): This guy is my guitar teacher, and he therefore has shaped a lot of my ideas on music. He plays anything from jazz to a cool kind of eastern rock. If you are ever in Melbourne Australia, look for them to see something different.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".