View post (Songwriting for guitar book?)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2010 2:50 am
Originally Posted by: mrnoI would just like to add, that while a songwriting book is helpful, the best way to learn about songwriting, is by actually writing songs.

If you're just starting out, and you don't think you're very good, just write songs for only you to hear. But, keep writing everyday, and explore new ideas with chords and harmony. Eventually, you'll start figuring it out on your own, and your songs will sound better and better.

That's what I did for a long time, before I felt like I could show my music to other people.

Agreed! You honestly aren't going to find the inspiration necessary to write great music in a book. It has to come from within and while books have some good insight into chord progressions, etc.; you simply have to conduct a trial and error process with your music.

Try this; write a song a day. Even if it is simple. You honestly have to start somewhere, and why not there. Take a month, and try to write a song a day. Even if it is only a few bars, or a few minutes. Have an idea, and take it as far as you can go and than that's it. Next day, start something else. Use this as a way to be able to hone your skills to the best of your ability each day. After a month of doing this, there is no way that your song writing can not benefit. I am a firm believer that song writing is a skill that takes honing just like your instrument, and you really can get better at it the more you work at it.

See how this works and keep me posted. It is always better to start today than tomorrow. :p
Douglas Showalter