View post (Slipknot's new album)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/11/2005 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredif you suck who would buy your album?????

:confused:[/quote]
An A.C. or GG Allin fan?

Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredbritney spears aint a good singer but many appreciate her music

Considering she writes none of it, doesn't perform any of the instrumental tracks on it and probably has a very minimal role in even choosing the music she "performs," how is it even really her music?

Next, pretty much everybody I know who listens to Britney Spears would listen to Dying Fetus if they were played on a Top 40 radio station... they're not appreciating the music, they're ignoring it while they work/drive/putz around the house/whatever.

[QUOTE=MoonliteShred]music is all about being honest to your audience and people appreciation man

Here again, I don't see Britney Spears' music as an honest artistic expression; it is merely a product for which people pay money and little else. Now that she's famous, you don't even see her making music -- she's just enjoying her wealth and fame and not doing much of anything beyond that (as far as I can see, anyway).

Now, on the other hand, let's consider Johnny Cash; he was making music as he was dying. On "The Man Comes Around," you can practically hear the oxygen tanks in the background.

Here you have a man who was making music right up until the last minute not for wealth (he knew he didn't have long to live) or fame, but because that's what he needed to do; he felt "Mean Eyed Cat" wasn't yet finished and a that a few other songs just weren't "right" yet, he had new song ideas, Rick Ruben had found songs he wanted to cover and he had plans for a Gospel album.

That's passion and honesty and artistic integrity, not "Oops! I Did it Again."

Now, how Slipknot fits between them, I'm not going to make that judgement.

I just know there's a lot of other things out there I'd rather listen to.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons