singing lessons

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/08/2006 5:37 pm
hey i was wondering whether anybody here goes to singing lessons and whether they're really worth it. like guitar lessons were worth it for me when i was learnin the basics and after that tabs and this site kinda gave me things to practice.

I was goin to singing workshops before but it was all pop music and it annoyed the crap out of me because it was on a monday at 7, and monday evenings i'm in my worst mood cause of the new week of work.

after you know the basics, ie sing from the diaghram, breathing excercises etc, how do you about singing rock, punk, metal? do you just jump in an do it, practice heaps or what?
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/08/2006 7:05 pm
meh, Ive never took singing lessons... Ive always just sung. Its never been a problem for me.

Its pretty much different for everyone. some people get it naturally some people have to work their butts off. I guess you really just have to figure that out yourself, bud. sorry im not much help.... :o
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
acapella
acapella
05/08/2006 7:17 pm
Yeah, singing lessons aren't even available to me if I wanted them. Maybe if I went to Winnipeg (over an hour both ways) on a regular basis, but I won't. I just sing all the time at home. Most people are pretty good anyway and just get better with casual (or maybe intensive, but I again I won't) practice. The hardest part for me is singing well in front of other people, which is something I'm still working on, but getting better at. It's really difficult to sing to your full ability when you know people will judge you.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/08/2006 8:11 pm
yer i guess so, i practice singin usually when i'm playin guitar, cause singin along to songs whilst their playin is kinda not as satisfyin as playin a chunky metal riff and singin along to it.
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/08/2006 9:04 pm
I growl, so I don't think any of us are going to see people that teach you how to do that. I'd say your best bet would be to get a book or two and do some reading. However, practice and warming up is every bit as important with singing as anything else. That's the voice you talk with and unless you want to ruin that voice, it's important that you treat it well. Keep your throat well hydrated with plenty of water as well. I know there are plenty of techniques that you can do with you voice, but I haven't read into them enough to really describe how to use them or what they sound like, so, y'know.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/08/2006 9:12 pm
i guess the key is really converting my singin from the karaoke try and be and sing like other musicians to the find my own strengths and find my own voice kinda thing. guitar is helpin me do that, cause playin guitar is pretty damn meditative. still i wouldn mind shortcuts :P
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/08/2006 9:55 pm
I have taken signing lessons and have found them really helpful.

I would definitely recommend it.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
pure
pure
05/09/2006 2:14 am
if singing lessons helped nobody then nobody would take them and then the lesson-place would have gone bankrupt and have to stopped teaching.

if singing lessons still exist today, they probably have things to teach that cant be learned easily on your own.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/09/2006 1:02 pm
if you don't mind me asking, how much did ya pay? it's pretty rediculous the going rate in london (it's like £25 an hour, which is about the equiv to 40US an hour for the cheaper instructors).
# 9
acapella
acapella
05/10/2006 4:20 pm
I would take lessons if they are available to you. I wish I could, because really, I'm not that good. So if you can get them, do.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 10
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
06/06/2006 7:09 am
Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop, Johnny Rotten, David Byrne, David Johansson (later known as Buster Poindexter, but that's a whole 'nother story), Richard Hell, Kurt Cobain, Jello Biafra, Phil Anselmo, Joey Ramone, Ian MacKaye, Henry Rollins...

They can't "sing". But they're far, far beyond 99% of human beings who can.

Some of the best rock 'n' roll that is and ever was has been made by guys (and girls) who:

- Had cheap, shoddy equipment from a pawn shop.
- Had pretty much no real training to speak of.
- Recorded entire studio albums onto cheap 4-track machines.
- Went ahead and started a band anyways, despite the naysayers or the prevailing conventions and standards of the day that dictated the proper way to make rock and pop. Historically speaking (as in, early to mid 1970s), if you could pin the "punk rock" phenomenon down to a single ethic that all the pioneering figures had in common, on either side of the Pond, that would be it.

Then again, I guess it helps if you want to be the next John Mayer or even... the next Robert Plant. Nothing wrong with that, for sure.

But remember, it's only rock'n'roll. :cool:
# 11
marvelc711
Full Access
marvelc711
Full Access
10/17/2021 12:56 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosehey i was wondering whether anybody here goes to singing lessons and whether they're really worth it. like guitar lessons were worth it for me when i was learnin the basics and after that tabs and this site kinda gave me things to practice. [br][br]I was goin to singing workshops before but it was all pop music and it annoyed the crap out of me because it was on a monday at 7, and monday evenings i'm in my worst mood cause of the new week of work.[br][br]after you know the basics, ie sing from the diaghram, breathing excercises etc, how do you about singing rock, punk, metal? do you just jump in an do it, practice heaps or what?

# 12
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/19/2021 2:49 pm

Like any skill, singing takes practice. It also helps to get skilled advice. Lessons can't hurt (it it does not apply to what you are doing, you just quit). Lessons can be very helpful (in that they can help you to understand how the instrument works).

I actually find singing harder to master. There are no frets to get your intonation right, you just have to learn how to hear that sound in your head. Then you work to make that sound with your voice, then you work to develop vocal chops that make a great vocalist. It is the same as learning to play guitar except there are no stops to help you hit any note. No piano keys, no frets, and nothing to really look at. It is all internal, invisiable, and thus harder to master. When you play an instrument you first learn the mechanics and from that, you develop your sound (ie. you learn to play chords and scales and then you produce a sound). When you learn to sing it is the opposite and quite a be more complicated (you have to conceptulize what your sound is, then you have to learn how to make those sounds reliably). I find voice much more complicated to master.

Some people have just made a habit of singing or they have deep natural tallent (Jagger ect). Those are the exception... not the rule. Most people have to work to develop and then to maintain a trained voice (don't forget that the Jaggers of the world also have 50 plus years of practice). That is a BIG deal.

If you want to sing, and you can arrange to have lessons, I would recomend you try them. Even just beginner training could be very helpful as you start to grow your skill set.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 13
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/19/2021 6:13 pm

What's with all the really old threads suddenly being resurrected? This one dates back to just over 15 years ago.....

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.