Power chord pinkie question.

Darth Octarine
Darth Octarine
01/27/2020 11:55 am

Hi,

I'm 6 weeks in and finished fundamental 1, I'm on to power chords which I've been looking forward to as I'm a metal fan although I'm hoping to play a lot of Floyd too.

My question is Lisa uses her ring finger on the A string and pinkie on D, I find this works for me but it feels much easier using my pinkie on A and D especially for quick chord changes. Bearing in mind I hope to progress to playing along to bands like Slayer and Behemoth should I force myself to avoid the double pinkie position, will it hamper or assist me later in my quest?

Thanks for any help. Ć°ÅøĀ¤ĖœĆ°ÅøŽĀø

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/27/2020 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Darth Octarine

Hi,

I'm 6 weeks in and finished fundamental 1, I'm on to power chords which I've been looking forward to as I'm a metal fan although I'm hoping to play a lot of Floyd too.

My question is Lisa uses her ring finger on the A string and pinkie on D, I find this works for me but it feels much easier using my pinkie on A and D especially for quick chord changes. Bearing in mind I hope to progress to playing along to bands like Slayer and Behemoth should I force myself to avoid the double pinkie position, will it hamper or assist me later in my quest?

I've been a pinky power chord player since about '85 when I first saw George Lynch do it and just thought it looked cool (stupid reason, but hey..if it works.....).

Despite my stupid reason, I find that I fret power chords with more authority the pinky way. They key is to be able to effectively play what you want to play.

Granted, my 'pinky/power chord' playing style is not an absolute method, it does depend on what I'm playing and there may be a reason why I fret with the ring finger. But for just straight up power chord riffing, my pinky usually gets the call.

# 2
Darth Octarine
Darth Octarine
01/27/2020 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: Darth Octarine

Hi,

I've been a pinky power chord player since about '85 when I first saw George Lynch do it and just thought it looked cool (stupid reason, but hey..if it works.....).

Despite my stupid reason, I find that I fret power chords with more authority the pinky way. They key is to be able to effectively play what you want to play.

Granted, my 'pinky/power chord' playing style is not an absolute method, it does depend on what I'm playing and there may be a reason why I fret with the ring finger. But for just straight up power chord riffing, my pinky usually gets the call.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed I wouldn't be the only person to have found it easier. I've just spent last 2 hours practicing and I'm definitely more accurate with pinkie only. Still will practice with ring so I can be ready when needed.

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/28/2020 12:38 pm

Power to the pinky people! I use my ring finger because my pinky just does not like to cooperate with that powerchord position. But using your pinky is great -go for it!

Have fun -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
Darth Octarine
Darth Octarine
01/28/2020 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Power to the pinky people! I use my ring finger because my pinky just does not like to cooperate with that powerchord position. But using your pinky is great -go for it!

Have fun -Lisa

Great thanks Lisa.

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/28/2020 11:00 pm

I like the pinky for E5 chords. It allows for a great walk down the major scale on the D and A strings using your index, middle, and ring fingers. You can do this while still playing the E power chord. Very good way to add intrest to the chord.

I also like the pinky power format on the E5, because it is easy for me when I change to an A 5 chord. My pinky is ready, right where it belongs ,

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.