Switching between chords

jrspringer.15
jrspringer.15
11/11/2019 5:58 pm

OK, stupid question time. Typically, how long does it take to be able to switch between chords smoothly?

I know there are so many variables to consider. But are we talking weeks, months, years?

Thanks!

Jim

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/11/2019 7:51 pm

I would say it depends on the chords Jim. A,D,E you might be able to get pretty smooth at in a week or so of regular practice, meaning you can keep up to tempo, play along to a song.

Other chords are really tough and take real work to get good at. It really depends on a lot of things. Not sure there is a "normal time".

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
jrspringer.15
jrspringer.15
11/11/2019 9:01 pm

Hi William,

Yeah, I know it was kind of a stupid question. I've been practicing A, D, and E for about three weeks with no noticeable improvement. I know three weeks isn't a long time.

The frustrating part of being a beginner is I know I need to practice to get better. But practice also needs to be fun. In Lisa's beginner course she says to make sure to play something fun each time so practicing doesn't seem like a chore or get boring. But I can't play anything fun because I can't get a few chord changes down. So it's kind of a catch 22.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/11/2019 10:59 pm

Not sure how long you've been learning but it took me a long time to get chords down when I started. Then it goes easier. There's no quick fix for this unfortunately, there is lots of guidance here and YouTube, but ultimately, it's up to us to sort it out. I am one of those who say this should be fun, but I say that about golf as well.

Check out my vid below. Hopefully it will raise your spirits.

I made this Video for us frustrated beginners.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
11/12/2019 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: jrspringer.15

Hi William,

Yeah, I know it was kind of a stupid question. I've been practicing A, D, and E for about three weeks with no noticeable improvement. I know three weeks isn't a long time.

Jim, I don't think William said it was a stupid question. Nor do I think he would. Where you are at in your learning it is a very logical question. It just can't be answerred. As you said, so many variables.

The most determining variable is how much you practice. You said you have been working it for three weeks but is that 30 minutes a day? 30 minutes twice a day? 3 hours per day?

It also depends on many other factors that are not as quantifiable. Some of us just have more natural ability and there is the even more unquantifiable factor of determination. I hate to admit that age is also a factor! I asked a guy that I have taken some Skype lessons from for some advice and about all he said was, "Oh. That's a tough one.".

Just know that it will come. And do keep it fun. That same guy that I took the Skype lesson from told me very early on to end every practice session doing something fun. Every practice session, no matter if it is chord changes or licks or any other technique I'm working on, I end working on a fun song I want to learn. Or I may just "noodle" over a backing track.

good luck.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 5
jrspringer.15
jrspringer.15
11/12/2019 5:36 pm

Thanks William and matonanjin2!

I appreciate the responses. I practice every day for approx 15-30 minutes. I've been down this road before, got frustrated and gave up. No way am I giving up this time. I'm sure it will get easier with time and practice.

Thanks again!

Jim

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/12/2019 5:49 pm

Don't rush chord changes. Even when you become experienced and are learning something new and not familiar (I was learning some of Elvis original guitar player, Scotty Moore and had to do this). If you keep on drilling chord changes and try to them up to speed the first time, you'll be frustrated and probably not get it.

Just take one chord change (example an A to a D and back) and practice is slowly until you start feeling like 'ok, that feels a little less awkward'. Then speed up...a little bit. Slowing things down is one of your most powerful tools as a player and will always be one of your most powerful tool. Even if you become an expert. It may feel like 'this is dumb, I feel like a child playing this slow'. The point of taking your time is to get your fingers comfortable with the location and strings you're trying to fret.

You'll realize that slowing down during your practice time will speed up your progress.

In learning Scotty Moore's stuff (That's All Right Mama), there's nothing he plays in terms of what chords and lines he chooses that I haven't played in one way or another over the years but his style and timing are what brings it to life. Even if I've playing these chords, to get it down to his style, I gotta take my time.

# 7
jrspringer.15
jrspringer.15
11/12/2019 6:49 pm

Thanks JeffS65!

That makes a lot of sense and puts things in perspective.

# 8
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
11/12/2019 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Just take one chord change (example an A to a D and back) and practice is slowly until you start feeling like 'ok, that feels a little less awkward'. Then speed up...a little bit. Slowing things down is one of your most powerful tools as a player and will always be one of your most powerful tool. Even if you become an expert. It may feel like 'this is dumb, I feel like a child playing this slow'. The point of taking your time is to get your fingers comfortable with the location and strings you're trying to fret.

You'll realize that slowing down during your practice time will speed up your progress.

Jim,

^^^ Really great advice,

Say "Hello" to your new best friend, the metronome.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 9
craftykenny
craftykenny
11/15/2019 9:50 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2
Originally Posted by: jrspringer.15

Hi William,

Jim, I don't think William said it was a stupid question. Nor do I think he would. Where you are at in your learning it is a very logical question. It just can't be answerred. As you said, so many variables.

The most determining variable is how much you practice. You said you have been working it for three weeks but is that 30 minutes a day? 30 minutes twice a day? 3 hours per day?

It also depends on many other factors that are not as quantifiable. Some of us just have more natural ability and there is the even more unquantifiable factor of determination. I hate to admit that age is also a factor! I asked a guy that I have taken some Skype lessons from for some advice and about all he said was, "Oh. That's a tough one.".

Just know that it will come. And do keep it fun. That same guy that I took the Skype lesson from told me very early on to end every practice session doing something fun. Every practice session, no matter if it is chord changes or licks or any other technique I'm working on, I end working on a fun song I want to learn. Or I may just "noodle" over a backing track.

good luck.

Hi Matonanjin. An easy way to move from anopen d chord to Bm is while holding the D shape simply add your pinky yo the 4th fret of the 3rd(G)string and play only the top strings. This will get you through until you get the hang of bar chords All the best Kenny.

# 10
OpenStrum
OpenStrum
11/18/2019 7:15 pm

I would also suggest to use a metronome. Have you been using a metronome? They help force our fingers to change chords on time and fast. Start slow at 50-60BPM then you can gradually make the speed on the metronome go faster and it will help you progress faster. It's hard at first, be patient with it then gradually you will notice positive big changes with your playing.

# 11
jrspringer.15
jrspringer.15
11/24/2019 8:48 pm
Originally Posted by: OpenStrum

I would also suggest to use a metronome. Have you been using a metronome? They help force our fingers to change chords on time and fast. Start slow at 50-60BPM then you can gradually make the speed on the metronome go faster and it will help you progress faster. It's hard at first, be patient with it then gradually you will notice positive big changes with your playing.

i have not been using a metronome. I've been concentrating on switching between chords without strumming. When I try to switch between chords while strumming everything goes town the tubes.

# 12
stevesomerville40
stevesomerville40
01/20/2020 8:10 pm

I have a question about chord changes close to this. How long should I stay on the Am to Em change before I can move on to another. How proficient should I be. Perfect at 150 beats on the metronome?

# 13
prlondon
prlondon
01/21/2020 5:49 pm

Great thread! Just helped me so much.

# 14
flytrn117
flytrn117
01/23/2020 2:59 pm

This was a great post to read. I was just wondering if I am EVER going to get switching between cords. Nice to know others struggle too. Maybe one of these days I will get the "a-ha" moment and it will just happen! Still working on building up those callused fingertips too. I just downloaded a metronome app - I need to use it, continue to have patience... and to have fun........... THANKS!

# 15
Sburns0057
Full Access
Sburns0057
Full Access
01/26/2020 6:42 pm

This has been helpful to read. I was just coming on here to ask about chord changes when I saw this thread. Been with Guitar Tricks just under a month and still using the "simple" chords. Struggling with keeping the neck from moving during chord changes (more appropriately, note changes when switching strings). There is a metronome under Tools on the home page. That'll be my next challenge.

# 16
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/28/2020 12:44 pm

Like what Jeff said, keep it simple at first (2 chords, back and forth in steady rhythm, slowly) Notice how your fingers are moving. Notice if you are getting good clear tone out of each string, Notice if you are landing the chords on time, or if there is a slight delay.

This kind of work can be fun because it’s kind of like trying to solve a puzzle. You take on the attitude of a car mechanic trying to fix a funny noise in the engine. Try this, try that, investigate, trouble-shoot. Find solutions, then bolt them right into place with slow, disciplined, meditative, repetitive practice.

Maybe Im weird, but I find this kind of practice work to be fun!

Best - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.