How to Practice Part 2

kenmiller8128
kenmiller8128
09/05/2019 11:10 pm

I have also finished part 1 of fundamentals, but am nowhere close to being able to play the beginner songs proficiently at more than about half speed - as chord progressions are hard! Do I master those songs or do I keep moving on with lessons to mix it up? Thanks

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/06/2019 1:53 am
Originally Posted by: kenmiller8128

I have also finished part 1 of fundamentals, but am nowhere close to being able to play the beginner songs proficiently at more than about half speed

[p]There's your answer in the statement of your question.

You could "mix it up" with F2 if you want to, but the objective of the courses are acquisition of a reasonable demonstrated proficiency at the skill taught. If you're struggling with simple chord progressions at easy tempo, it's rather pointless proceeding to Fundamentals 2.

[br]Time to pick some songs you like and just play to develop a [u]basic[/u] proficiency.

Watching lessons and ticking the completion progress boxes even if the knowledge is assimilated isn't [u]demonstrated skill of the competency. That's the objective[/u]. Watching lessons without practising until you can perform the skill reasonably yourself won't get you anywhere you want to go in such a hurry. It's the fast road to disappointment.

If you aren't proficient at beginner level songs (rated 1 or 2 guitars) in particular at 100% tempo, that's where your focus should be now until you are. They're quite easy, so are the skills taught in Fundamentals 1. You've been at this less than a month if your join date is indicative? If you've ticked all the completion boxes of F1 in a month, you're racing through it. Hey, I could watch them all in less than a week if I put my mind to it, but I'd be oversaturated, and it would achieve little.

I'd suggest you're only cheating yourself by rushing through without completing the most important part, [u]achieving a reasonable level of demonstrated proficiency at the skill taught[/u] before moving on. The basics are important, like foundations of a building, being competent at arithmetic before tackling algebra or calculus.

If you don't [u]slow down and focus upon developing reasonable competency at the basics[/u], you'll hit a virtual wall when you come to more complex competencies.

# 2
kenmiller8128
kenmiller8128
09/06/2019 2:26 am

Thanks. I appreciate your insights. I think my plan is to stick with the very beginner songs and get better. That makes sense.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/06/2019 2:54 am

It does mate. Not intended to demoralise, but from what you've said, if you don't you'll rush headlong into disappointment where [u]expectation won't coincide with capability[/u], and that'll hit enthusiasm hard when the initial novelty and excitement of everything new about learning guitar wears off.

You're the driver of your learning curve. Be in control.

If I might suggest, find a couple of songs which [u]you[/u] really really like using the chords you've learned so far in progressions, and learn them until you can perform them acceptably at tempo [u]consistently[/u]. Not only is that fun, but you will quickly develop competency with them and the success will refresh enthusiasm. By the time you're ready to move on, a song with a tempo of 120BPM should feel easy and not present a challenge IMV.

# 4
kenmiller8128
kenmiller8128
09/06/2019 5:40 pm

totally appreciated.

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/06/2019 5:54 pm

Some of the best advice I've seen on 'when can I move on..?'

Good on you, manXcat. I think your posts here should be referenced everytime this common problem/question pops up.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/08/2019 4:18 am

Thank you for the compliment john of MT.

If it can assist others to make progress whilst deriving as much joy as I am from the journey, I am handsomely repaid.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.