Most versatile guitarist?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Most versatile guitarist?

jiujitsu_jesus

Yeah, everybody who's been mentioned thus far is incredibly versatile, but, in my humble opinion, John McLaughlin takes the cake.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

Yeah, everybody who's been mentioned thus far is incredibly versatile, but, in my humble opinion, John McLaughlin takes the cake.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

magicninja

Guitar Tricks Moderator

I'm pretty versitile......some day I'll be very versitile....as long as I keep the drive to learn new things. I think Randy Rhoads was versatile but never had the chance to really show it. Dee was imo a good little ditty.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

I'm pretty versitile......some day I'll be very versitile....as long as I keep the drive to learn new things. I think Randy Rhoads was versatile but never had the chance to really show it. Dee was imo a good little ditty.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

tuscan16

Can I just throw Tommy Emmanuel into consideration here? He is amazing. He started off palying electric stuff, and now plays the most amazing fingerstyle guitar. He can pretty much play any style (and doesif you listen to his albums). If you haven't seen or heard of him, go to his web site and buy his live DVD - it is jaw droppingly good.
http://www.tommyemmanuel.com

Can I just throw Tommy Emmanuel into consideration here? He is amazing. He started off palying electric stuff, and now plays the most amazing fingerstyle guitar. He can pretty much play any style (and doesif you listen to his albums). If you haven't seen or heard of him, go to his web site and buy his live DVD - it is jaw droppingly good.
http://www.tommyemmanuel.com

jiujitsu_jesus

The first Tommy Emmanuel piece I ever heard was his adaption of Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca". It still wows me every time I hear it.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

The first Tommy Emmanuel piece I ever heard was his adaption of Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca". It still wows me every time I hear it.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

Superhuman

Havent seen John Petrucci mentioned in this thread, he does everything from prog rock to shred to classical and everything else in between. I just heard an amazing cd with him and the keyboard player from Dream Theatre where they basically jammed for a few hours on front of a crowd. It sounds incredible, check it out if you like JP.
Satriani is also hugely versatile, his techno album is testament to that. Another great player worth a mention is Greg Howe, neo-classical, shred, prog, fusion, accoustic, rock etc.
Listen to Superhuman shred on MP3Unsigned

Havent seen John Petrucci mentioned in this thread, he does everything from prog rock to shred to classical and everything else in between. I just heard an amazing cd with him and the keyboard player from Dream Theatre where they basically jammed for a few hours on front of a crowd. It sounds incredible, check it out if you like JP.
Satriani is also hugely versatile, his techno album is testament to that. Another great player worth a mention is Greg Howe, neo-classical, shred, prog, fusion, accoustic, rock etc.
Listen to Superhuman shred on MP3Unsigned

jiujitsu_jesus

Yeah, I think John Petrucci could make a decent living as a classical guitarist.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

Yeah, I think John Petrucci could make a decent living as a classical guitarist.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

foursquaremusic

Tommy Bolin

The most VERSATILE guitarist that I've ever encountered was Tommy Bolin :eek: :D lin.. Rock, Jazz, Fusion, mellow, heavy, island.. you name it.. He died in '76, but was in James Gang and Deep purple, Billy Cobham, Alphonze Mouson, others.. and had 2 excellent solo albums as well. I'd recommend his solo work.. Teaser and Purple's Come taste The Band albums..

Tommy Bolin

The most VERSATILE guitarist that I've ever encountered was Tommy Bolin :eek: :D lin.. Rock, Jazz, Fusion, mellow, heavy, island.. you name it.. He died in '76, but was in James Gang and Deep purple, Billy Cobham, Alphonze Mouson, others.. and had 2 excellent solo albums as well. I'd recommend his solo work.. Teaser and Purple's Come taste The Band albums..

eddieb_isback_again

Lenny Breau is the most versatile guitarist by far, at least among famous guitarists. He was capable of performing Country, Jazz and Flamenco, sometimes all in one song. The only criticism he received, was playing too many styles in one song. If Rock shredding was around in his time, he would have added that to his collection of genres as well, if he felt it was worth his time.

Lenny Breau is the most versatile guitarist by far, at least among famous guitarists. He was capable of performing Country, Jazz and Flamenco, sometimes all in one song. The only criticism he received, was playing too many styles in one song. If Rock shredding was around in his time, he would have added that to his collection of genres as well, if he felt it was worth his time.