How to learn using finger picks

Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
10/29/2021 12:54 am

Hello all,

I am learning fingerstyle and have a solid knowledge of the basics. I am trying to transition to finger picks but my playing is extremely loud and annoying. Any tips to help me tone down my playing will be appreciated.

Blakeney

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/29/2021 10:42 am

I think practice and a lighter touch are the main things, but I never managed to get on with them

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/29/2021 6:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Blakeney8

Hello all,

I am learning fingerstyle and have a solid knowledge of the basics. I am trying to transition to finger picks but my playing is extremely loud and annoying. Any tips to help me tone down my playing will be appreciated.

Blakeney

Really, this comes with practice. If you're just starting in fingerstyle playing, you're probably pretty clumsy and with fingerpicks? Clumsy but louder. With practice, you're get the finesse of it.

For all the years I played, I more or less avoided fingerstyle playing and I'm not all that great at it. Meaning that I can play quite nicely otherwise but I sound like a dying rhino fingerstyle!

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
10/30/2021 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Blakeney8

Hello all,

Blakeney

I'm getting pretty good at fingerstyle now, but I'm envious you can use picks. I've tried many including Fred Kelly Picks recommended by Lisa, but still having a hard time getting used to them. I'm not sure which ones you have, but in my research for the "perfect pick" if there is one, many of the artists say you can file them down like you would a fingernail to shape them to your liking. By doing this you'd be able to tone down the sharpness of the pick hitting the string thus quieting them down a little. Other than that go back to using your fingertips. Thats what I do and over time you get a little callous on them just like your fretting fingers, though not as much and it provides a better sound. I've also heard of "Builder Gel Clear" which is a Gel product, not an acrylic, you put directly on the fingernail then bake them under a UV lamp. You can buy these products or any nail salon can do it for you. Good Luck and like the others said in the mean time the more you practice the better control you'll have on the picking.

Moe

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.