Long time owner, substandard player here.

greg.sacrey
greg.sacrey
02/25/2020 5:04 pm

Hey folks,

I have owned a couple of guitars for years. I have owned my acoustic (Yamaha F310 I think) for 18+ years and my electric for about 30 years (Yamaha SE350). I really should be awesome. Or at least good. Hell, I should at least be ok.

I am none of those things really. Very mediocre at best.

I have taken stabs at playing a number of times over the years. I love the idea of being able to play but never sunk in the time and effort it required to truly play.

I am not a complete neophyte but not too far ahead of one. My son has recently become interested in guitar and knowing his approach to things in life, he will probably nail this. He has inspired me to pick mine up and set a goal for myself. I have two guitars but have never bought one for myself. Both were gifts that I am thankful for. That said, I want to earn a new one for myself. My dream is to own a Gibson Les Paul or ES and due it some justice.

When I feel I have reached a level where I don't make people cringe or run away I will treat myself. I doubt I will ever become awesome but I think I can reach good.

I found Guitar Tricks and very quickly fell in love with the approach and layout. I think this could work for me. I just have to work for myself.

Anyways I thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

Greg

Getting better...

# 1
prlondon
prlondon
02/25/2020 5:46 pm

Hey Greg and welcome

Take your time and practice. There is no rush. Do it for you.

Buy the guitar you want now! Why wait?

# 2
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
02/25/2020 7:20 pm

Apart from having a son to inspire me, our stories are incredibly similar. I've definitely made some improvements in the last 6 months while subbed to GT, so hang in there.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/25/2020 7:44 pm

Hi Greg

I find there are a number of us on here with a similar story. I took it up last January (again) but this time has been the charm.

Best of luck!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
02/25/2020 11:21 pm

G'day Greg, & a warm welcome to the forums.

[br]GL, enjoy the journey.

# 5
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
02/26/2020 12:14 am

The first thing I learned at GT is that there are loads of players with very similar pasts as far guitar history goes...

# 6
greg.sacrey
greg.sacrey
12/11/2023 9:00 pm

Nearly 4 years into this journey and I am happy to say that I aim to play every single day.   I truly dislike not being able to play.

Guitar Tricks has been instrumental, pun intended, in providing me with the foundation on which to build.  I have been playing constantly since I posted this and have gotten significantly better than I was.  I feel I am beyond "ok" now and working on "good" lol.

In my opinion, I have earned my Les Paul.  I have built up a solid collection over the last few years and love them all.  

If there are any other folks on the fence about signing up with GT, just do it.  Put real time and effort in and it will pay off.  Practice is the key. :-)  Who knew lol....lots of people that's who. Every single person who can play guitar or any instrument has to put in some practice time.  

Best of luck.  Time to go play.

Getting better...

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/11/2023 9:37 pm

Great to hear Greg.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 8
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2023 6:08 pm

Hi Greg,

Welcome!

I love this from your post: "I love the idea of being able to play but never sunk in the time and effort it required to truly play."

Why do I love it? Because HERE YOU ARE DOING IT! This is so awesome.

Nobody"should" be a better player simply because they have been playing for years - unless they spent a good deal of that time actually working to advance their skills in a methodical committed way. 

You have made a great choice and you have come to the right place!

Be well, Have fun,  - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.