Epiphone vs Gibson Les Paul

slittle_92
slittle_92
04/18/2021 3:42 pm

Hello,

is a low end gibson better than a mid/high-ish tier epiphone.

I am potentially choosing a les paul, either an epiphone les paul standard 60’s, modern figured or a gibson tribute.

Hoping to play selection classic rock, alt rock, hard rock and metal songs. with a Boss Katana Amp, potentially (if this helps)

Any suggestions welcome

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/18/2021 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: slittle_92

[p]I think in this context you are better off playing specific guitars than just picking the name. I know you will find some individual guitars from either category that sound & feel better to your ears & hands than others in that same exact category!

If at all possible, I encourage you to play a few of each through a Katana.

Gibson's use the same types of wood, but higher quality pieces & better electronics than their counterpart Epiphones. But I'm not sure there are significant differences between the lower end models. And even if there are, there is still no substitute for how a specific guitar feels in your hands.

There are plenty of articles & vids on the web that address this issue, often with some surprising results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGTvjbbVl-o

Bottom line: try before you buy! :) Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
fingolfen
fingolfen
04/19/2021 10:23 pm

My first guitar (that I purchased not so long ago) was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I run through a Katana... It's a great guitar, and it's been great to learn on so far...

# 3
FSTech
FSTech
04/27/2021 3:23 pm

IMO, this comes down to money spent and the name you want on your headstock. I looked at this a while back, and yes Gibson may give you better quality parts but in the long run it is going to be what makes you happy. Find a guitar that you want to pick up and ignore the name brand.

Case in point, google "cardboard strat"

Here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo2H-W7d6A

If a cardboard strat can impress people....there with todays tech just about any guitar will be playable, enjoyable, and put smiles on peoples faces.

I had a Lyon by Washburn strat.....cheap as could be, but stayed in tune and played anything I wanted...ended up selling it to a friend because her son was getting into guitar. I kinda wish I still had it

# 4
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
04/28/2021 9:43 pm
Originally Posted by: FSTech

IMO, this comes down to money spent and the name you want on your headstock. I looked at this a while back, and yes Gibson may give you better quality parts but in the long run it is going to be what makes you happy. Find a guitar that you want to pick up and ignore the name brand.

Case in point, google "cardboard strat"

Here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo2H-W7d6A

If a cardboard strat can impress people....there with todays tech just about any guitar will be playable, enjoyable, and put smiles on peoples faces.

I had a Lyon by Washburn strat.....cheap as could be, but stayed in tune and played anything I wanted...ended up selling it to a friend because her son was getting into guitar. I kinda wish I still had it

Above is probably the best advice. [br][br]

I was flirting with a similar dellima regarding Epiphone and Gibson but after some hand wringing and trying them out I ultimately chose a single cut PRS. That was the best choice for me but the point is start down the road with an open mind and thru discovery you might end up somewhere else entirely.

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
04/30/2021 9:33 pm

I was torn between a Gibson SG p90 and an Epiphone SG P90. I really enjoyed the epiphone and the cost was excellent. For my money and purposes, the epiphone fit the bill. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. [br][br]

as others have noted, it's how much you like the guitar-barring the name of the name of the headstock.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6
NeverEnoughFuzz
NeverEnoughFuzz
10/01/2021 11:06 pm

I went through this dilemia for a few months and after playing a few of each I went for the limited edition epiphone 59. A great guitar and has gibson electronics. Best of both worlds!

Cheers

Fender Strat Jimi Hendrix Series MIM

Epiphone 59 Les Paul

Pus a few others

Boss Katana Mk2 100 watts

Bugera V22 combo

Far too many pedals...

# 7
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/02/2021 4:26 am

I am potentially choosing a les paul, either an epiphone les paul standard 60’s, modern figured or a gibson tribute.

Hoping to play selection classic rock, alt rock, hard rock and metal songs. with a Boss Katana Amp, potentially (if this helps)

Any suggestions welcome

[br]My .02c with caveat, OMMV. Reading the above it sounds to me like the criteria you have laid down in choosing that guitar are, 1. the LP aesthetic, and 2. the influence of elitisim bias, the presumption that a Gibson being more expensive ergo must be 'better' than Epiphone. Technically, it will be, although not proportionate to $$$$ ratio, nor will it make any effective difference i.e. 'be better' in accelerating or making easier the learning curve. [br][br]Personally, if choosing between one or the other as a neophyte (?) I'd buy the Epiphone which will serve well until gaining sufficient experience to discern the difference without asking such a question. Paying a hefty premium for a Gibson is pointless technically until sufficient skill with the instrument has been acquired to validate the spend or until Epiphone is some way presenting as a limiting factor encumbering your performance. This paragraph is of course predicated upon the presumption that like most you're on an average income and budget paying for the instrument yourself? [br][br]Re 1. in paragraph one. I suggest you go to a music store, pick up and handle a Les Paul before you commit to one. Aesthetically, they are a beautiful shape no question, but it's a 70 year old design with a load of dated ergonomic baggage. There are just superior ergonomic designs today which sound every bit as good or better which are a lot more pleasant to play. I wanted to fall in love with the Les Paul, but ugh! Just ugh! Love the aesthetic and sustain, but that's where the lust ends even with a modern neck profile and contemporary thinner body..

Re 2., Epiphone or Gibson. Unless money is no object, the question you need to ask yourself is can you make use of/what REAL additional benefit to you will it be to pay a bucketload of extra $$$$ on a Gibson, and if none is the answer (it is) how long before it will make any difference and you'll have your answer.

[br]With the right pickups a Les Paul will handle all of the styles you mention bar metal depending upon what sub-genre of metal you mean by "metal". i.e. extreme.[br][br]Regardless, were it me choosing given your stated intended genres, I'd buy something from Ibanez, a Cort X500OP, Yamaha (Revstar RS620 (watch vs a Gibson Les Paul) or you could go the RS720 or 820 if you wanted to spend more, or alternatively a PRS SE (CorTek) instead. Just sayin', as you did mention "any suggestions welcome".[br][br]The more limiting/tone shaping factor regardless any of the above pickup output notwithstanding will be the amp. For the money a Katana is as good as any in the same performance class as a practice amp. GL. Hope you choose the right guitar [u]for you[/u].

# 8
snpfarm
snpfarm
10/06/2021 3:31 pm

Hello,

Any suggestions welcome

I'll add my thoughts as well. I'm far from an advanced and knowledgeable player. I do fairly well though. Like the others said, there is no substitute for trying them all out. I ended up with what I would call a mid/upper end Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I have a few friends who are paid to play and have real Les Pauls. I know they wouldn't B.S. me. They told me that my Epiphone Les Paul plays and sounds as good as any Les Paul they have played. Did I get lucky and find a needle in a haystack? I don't think so. I played several before I decided on the one I have. Long story short...play them all and buy the one that speaks to you.

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

# 9
hamiltonkenneth3
hamiltonkenneth3
10/11/2021 1:42 am

I have an Epiphone LP custom and a Gibson LP standard and to be honest the differences are there but it's really hard to justify the $1,700 price difference. However with a soldering iron and about $100 in parts I can make up some of the differences. [br][br]

# 10
jknoxdmd
Full Access
jknoxdmd
Full Access
03/10/2022 5:06 am

I have a epi 50 and 60 standard and really like them. Just retuned the epi 1959 as the build quality was horrible. Hopefully I just received a bad one. Frets, neck , and pickups were not good. I've also owned a Gibson Les Paul standard and while it was a nice guitar it wasn't much different than the Epiphone that I have.

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.