Q re action & string to fretboard distance & frets

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
01/05/2020 11:00 pm

I've been learning on an acoustic (actually an acoustic-electric). Even though I don't have an amp yet and don't intend to really get into an electric until I make it to the Blues modules, the stars were aligned in such a way that I had no other choice but to buy a BMG electric last week. It feels better in my hands than I thought (no idea as to how it sounds plugged in and probably won't know for several months) and I feel it plays pretty well. I do find however that I get buzz on the bassier strings at the first half dozen or so frets and that the fretboard is so much closer to the strings than I am used to on my acoustic that it, at a minimum, will take some getting used to. I think I have gotten accustomed to holding the pick such that the pointy part extends a bit from my fingers. As such, on the electric with the considerably shorter distance between the top of the frets and the fretboard, I am frequently hitting the fretboard with my pick, almost stabbing it one might say. Perhaps I will naturally adapt and start holding the pick closer in. I have wondered though if I might someday want to explore narrow tall frets rather than the seemingly more ubiquitious medium jumbo (which is on my new guitar), as a way to increase the distance between the top of the fret and the fretboard. Does that seem reasonable? I have seen a few people on the net say that they feel like speed bumps when sliding around but as I don't see myself as the kind of a person who would go flying around the fretboard (definitely don't inspire to be a shredder), that might not be as much of a concern for me.

I also read on one site that electrics often have some audible fret buzz but often times it doesn't come through the speakers so it's not really a concern. If it is however, I was thinking about ways to address this. If the saddles are raised, doesn't that primarily affect the height nearer to the bridge and not so much near the nut (which is my buzzy area). A truss rod adjustment to put in some relief in the neck seems that it would predominantly affect the swath of middle frets (the most concave part of the adjusted neck) so again it might not address fret buzz nearest to the nut. Am I wrong in these assumptions? I can say that right now, with my inexperienced and old eyes, the neck looks pretty straight. Oh, and one other thing, the BMG guitars have a short scale length (a bit shorter than even a Les Paul I believe) and comes equipped with narrow strings (.009) and my understanding is that both may contribute to fret buzz, as both lead to a lessening of tension on the strings relative to a longer scale instrument or one with thicker strings. So maybe I sh/could also go up a string size or two to see if that has any impact. Well, these are the thoughts that have been running around in my head the last couple of days. Thanks for listening and I would love to hear your input on any of this.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/06/2020 1:51 am

I understand the concept of guitar setup, but I take mine to a local tech. I don't like it when I'm playing a buzzy guitar. The most I've paid was $75 which included fret leveling.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Slacksixx
Slacksixx
02/05/2020 7:44 am

Wood changes with temperature and humidity so any instrument will need incremental adjustments over the course of a year.

Fret buzz is caused by either incorrect neck relief, improperly cut nut slots, too low bridge saddles, high frets, warped/humped neck or all of the above.

there's a back and forth method to setting up a guitar that involves time, a small investment in the correct, decent tools and taking the time to properly learn how to do it.

its in every guitarist best interest to know these basics and to know how their tools are supposed to work.

i would recommend that you watch someone like Dave's World Of Fun Stuff to familiarize yourself with techniques. He's a no myth, straightforward, practical kinda guy. Key words No Myth.

short scale guitar necks require more tension to achieve relief. Whereas 9s can be made to work, 10s are recommended while 11s are usually best. Try 10s first. If you go to 10s from 9s you shouldn't have to recut the nut slots and MAY find that your fret buzz is gone if it was a relief issue.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2020 12:34 pm

Congrats on a new guitar!

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI do find however that I get buzz on the bassier strings at the first half dozen or so frets and that the fretboard is so much closer to the strings than I am used to on my acoustic that it, at a minimum, will take some getting used to.[/quote]

Everything you say is true. Heavier strings might help, adjusting the bridge or neck might help. Or it might be an acceptable amount of buzz from the typically lower action on an electric.

One thing you didn't mention was the nut. It's possible that the nut was cut a bit too low. That's more of a tech problem to fix. And it couldn't hurt to have a local pro go over it. Just take it to the music store & and ask.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI think I have gotten accustomed to holding the pick such that the pointy part extends a bit from my fingers. As such, on the electric with the considerably shorter distance between the top of the frets and the fretboard, I am frequently hitting the fretboard with my pick, almost stabbing it one might say.[/quote]

Typically techniques used playing electric require a little more precise movements & motions. Also it helps to rest your palm on the bass side of the bridge. That will keep your pick from digging into the fretboard. My biggest problem is staying away from the middle pickup on my strat when I dig in too much! :)[br][quote=dlwalke]Perhaps I will naturally adapt and start holding the pick closer in.

[p]Sounds like a good idea to pursue. You might want to make that an intentional process sooner rather than later!

[quote=dlwalke]I have wondered though if I might someday want to explore narrow tall frets rather than the seemingly more ubiquitious medium jumbo (which is on my new guitar), as a way to increase the distance between the top of the fret and the fretboard. Does that seem reasonable?

I'm not sure how this is going to help. As long as the action stays the same, then the top of the fret is the same distance from the string no matter how wide the fret is. And I think this is more an issue of picking/strumming technique.

Also you might want to post these concerns in the GT guitar tech forum!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.