Use slow down software as a tool

bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
09/16/2019 12:40 am

Hi Everyone,

So I tend to use a slow down software one Called “Transcribe”

To slow things down very slow to where I can Hear one note at a time

and I listen to over and over until I can get one note right before I move to the next note etc....

then once I do get the chord or the phrase down at that speed

I will speed up the program Transcribe just fast enough to where I can physically play it

and I play that over and over again until I feel comfortable at that speed

My goal it to be able to play it at full speed but I know this will take time

So Then I go back to Transcribe software and slow way down the next part

And repeat the same process as above until I can play both of the two phrases at a slow speed and again speed up to as fast as I can physically Play them

First question will the slow down software ruin my ears from developing ?

Is ok to use?

And how long should I use at one sitting ?

Thanks I advance

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/16/2019 2:06 am

I have not used Transcribe but I do use the 1/2 speed function offered here quite often. I personally have not had an issue with it ruining my ears. My ears, and probably yours as well are tuned into the bass line so I know when to make my chord transitions.

In terms of how often or what the duration should be, I think you need to do what you need to do to get the parts down. This function is only a means to an end.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2019 11:46 am

Transcribe can be a very useful tool!

Originally Posted by: bcraig4J

Is ok to use?

[/quote]

No, it's just a tool to help you in the process.

[quote=bcraig4J]And how long should I use at one sitting ?

That's up to how long you can devote to the task & stay focused. Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
09/16/2019 1:43 pm

There is also a competitive product called "Song Surgeon". I don't want to derail this thread into discussion of which is better. Both, I'm sure, will do exactly what you described bcraig4J, that being slow down an audio to make it easier to learn. I do known that Song Surgeon will allow one to slow down the audio to very slow, as in 50%, before the audio gets distorted. Some of the slow down software out there can't do this. That's almost slow enough that I can learn it!

Right now I am trying to learn this one very small section, 6 or 8 notes, of Clapton's solo in "Wonderful Tonight". Thanks to this software I may get it! How did people learn guitar before all these tools?!?!

As an aside, the guy that designed Song Surgeon, James Todd, also has a product called Video Surgeon. Everything that Song Surgeon does with audio, Video Surgeon does with video. And more. I use Video Surgeon more than any other software I have for learning.

You can pick out a section of a video, say a YouTube video you grabbed, loop it and slow it down. You can export that section to an audio file. You can change the key. It will grab that video from YT. go to the link to see all it does.

If I'm practicing I almost always have Video Surgeon running.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 4
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
09/16/2019 7:30 pm

I have found the speed functions on the GT videos to be invaluable. I know that at 50% the voice is deistorted, but it doesn't affect my ability to learn the guitar part. As soon as I can I speed up to 75% and then faster again. I really appreciate that GT listened to it's customers and incorporated the multi-speed function.

Along with the loop function which is also very useful.

# 5
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
09/17/2019 1:23 am

Sir about songsurgeon

does it really

1.detect tempo

2.detect the chords

3.able to slow down to a crawl without changing the pitch

4.have fix that unwater type of sound when speed is very slow

# 6
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
09/17/2019 1:28 am
Originally Posted by: alffvdh

I have found the speed functions on the GT videos to be invaluable. I know that at 50% the voice is deistorted, but it doesn't affect my ability to learn the guitar part. As soon as I can I speed up to 75% and then faster again. I really appreciate that GT listened to it's customers and incorporated the multi-speed function.

Along with the loop function which is also very useful.

I myself havnot try GT yet I will

but I am been trying to slow down

using Transcribe

Johann Sebastian Bach-“Air on G String”

# 7
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
09/17/2019 7:46 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2

There is also a competitive product called "Song Surgeon". I don't want to derail this thread into discussion of which is better. Both, I'm sure, will do exactly what you described bcraig4J, that being slow down an audio to make it easier to learn.all these tools?!?!

[br][/quote][quote=bcraig4J][p]Sir about songsurgeon

does it really

1.detect tempo

2.detect the chords

I stated really clearly I did not want to hijack your thread and make it a comparison.

But, you asked the questions.

"1.detect tempo" YES

"2.detect the chords" YES

"3.able to slow down to a crawl without changing the pitch" YES

"4.have fix that unwater type of sound when speed is very slow" YES

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 8
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/17/2019 11:48 pm

[u]Thanks for the heads up[/u] on that software matonanjin2.

An aside, respecting the courtesy in your gesture as a fellow GT member, forum reader & contributor, I don't perceive your commentary hijacking the OPs or anyones' thread from my interpretation of the forum's remit generally and benefit of largesse in divergent discussion benefitting the former.

[br][u]Ref transcription tools[/u].

[br]Currently I use a suite of various tools including but not limited to Open Source [u]Audacity[/u] and [u]VLC Media Player[/u] harnessed to serve my purpose, so I don't have any identifiable personal need for Song Surgeon's comprehensive functionality right now to justify outlay on its heftyish price.

Awareness of it is stored away for the future with that 'filing system's' inherent fee free 'protection' ensuring I'll be buying the current latest version at any time when or if I might, respecting that an all in one solution or intuitively easy to use application which comes highly regarded as a standard of excellence can at times be worth paying a premium for.

# 9
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
09/18/2019 4:09 am

There is also a competitive product called "Song Surgeon". I don't want to derail this thread into discussion of which is better. Both, I'm sure, will do exactly what you described bcraig4J, that being slow down an audio to make it easier to learn.all these tools?!?!

[br][/quote][quote=bcraig4J][p]Sir about songsurgeon

does it really

1.detect tempo

2.detect the chords

I stated really clearly I did not want to hijack your thread and make it a comparison.

But, you asked the questions.

"1.detect tempo" YES

"2.detect the chords" YES

"3.able to slow down to a crawl without changing the pitch" YES

"4.have fix that unwater type of sound when speed is very slow" YES

No worries matonanjin2 I appreciate the curiosity

but I donot mind sharing with others if that can help them as well actually I am glad You mention

And Thanks for answer back questions I think I might try out the demo and see what I think

# 10
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
09/18/2019 4:12 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Transcribe can be a very useful tool!

Is ok to use?

[/quote]

No, it's just a tool to help you in the process.

[quote=bcraig4J]And how long should I use at one sitting ?

That's up to how long you can devote to the task & stay focused. Best of success with it!

Thanks Christopher for Clearing That UP

Yiur ears I heard this on Youtube somewhere from alot of different people said this so I started to get worried

# 11
romeobanner13
romeobanner13
03/28/2021 6:47 am

You can try DOIT, it is one of the best software for that service. It is a recommendation because with it you will be able to finish your lessons faster and easier than with similar programs. It is a good recommendation to start.

# 12
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
03/28/2021 4:23 pm

Sir about songsurgeon

does it really

1.detect tempo

2.detect the chords

So after a 6 or 7 month period someone rescusitated this thread and I relooked at my post. I want to make sure I am not misleading. In my enthusiasm for it, I may have overstated Song Surgeon's capabilities.

1 and 2 above remain "Yes".

But!

"3.able to slow down to a crawl without changing the pitch" Define "crawl". With any software, if you slow it enough, it will change the pitch. Is that speed different with Song Surgeon (slower)? from what I understand from other users, yes. I haven't compared.

"4.have fix that unwater type of sound when speed is very slow". Again, dfine "very slow". If you slow it enough, and I think that threshold is below 40% or so, it will start sounding "gurgly". But again, I think this is the case with any similar use software. But it has to be slow enough that the usefullness is no longer there.

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.