OK One more!

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
04/12/2019 10:33 pm

55 year old Fender Vibrolux Reverb amp............almost could pass for new......the dude I bought it from literally stored it in his closet at home and I believe him. I'm sure it's the original tubes etc and definitely the original two pronged electrical cord. So the issue may be grounding but I would love to retain all the original tubes and speakers etc and the original cord since these things have increased considerably in value since I purchased it a few years back (I was the 2nd or 3rd owner) and not have to haul it into downtown Dallas and trust someone to go over it.......but it has that typical constant humming and slight spitting. It does not go up in volume when I crank it so around "4" or "5" it's barely noticable but still naturally I'd love a sweet vintage quiet classic Fender amp...........any suggestions for a relative layman on electronics wiz to troubleshoot typical items that could correct this problem?? Thanks!! Jim

# 1
bbriant
bbriant
04/13/2019 7:59 am

hi

I would not even switch it on untill a tech as looked at it?

tube amps can be dangerous if not earthed right.

the wiring could be rotten and capacitors can leak after all that time.

But they are fixable problems and when done should sound even sweeter.

Happy playing

# 2
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
04/13/2019 9:58 am

Tubes ware out so keeping the old tubes just for the fact they are old/original can actually be dangerous, you wouldn't want old tyres on your car would you?

Any amp that age will need the electrolytic capacitors renewed, the two prong power cord replaced to a three prong cord and the death capacitor should be disconnected.

I understand wanting to keep an amp as original as possible but it also needs to be made safe which is much more important if you plan to play it.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.