Schecter Research to PRS SE

KellyAM
KellyAM
10/04/2019 8:12 pm

I'll give a quick drop for my first guitar which was a beautiful Schecter. It looked nice and played well. But as time went on I began to realize, the fret board was simply too skinny and I couldn't grip the next without cramping my fingers. Otherwise great guitar![br][br]Traded back in before my new one last night, a PSR SE. Next fits my hands way better and the sound options are fully loaded.

As for amps, I started off with a Fender Musstang v.2. It was cool but the Fender software doesn't work so you're on your own for setting up presets and storing them which is a little clunky. Otherwise great tone for indoor practice and can get quite loud.[br][br]I sold that back on the streets for the same 50 bucks and bought a Line6 modeling amp. Never looked back! Great amp and has cloud software you can use to download and instantly configure user presets.

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
10/05/2019 2:42 pm

Congratulations on the new PRS! Which SE model did you get? It is just nearly impossible, in my opinion, to go wrong with a PRS. Impeccable attention to detail, unbelievable playability and they are just so gorgeous. I have a couple handfuls of guitars, 2 of which are PRS. The others are the usual suspects: Gibsons, Strats. I have to force myself to play anything but the PRS.

Enjoy your new guitar a long time!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/29/2019 11:14 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't subscribe so I didn't know you posted. I settled on the PRS 245. The fat neck for my long fingers along with the right amount of options and plus the looks made it the best choice for me.

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 3
Wrams
Wrams
11/21/2019 8:22 pm

How are you enjoying your new PRS SE? [br][br]I'm so tempted to purchase the PRS 2018 SE STANDARD 24 ELECTRIC GUITAR - TRANSLUCENT BLUE from Dawson for £475 but not sure what amp that's reasonable would accompany it nicely.[br][br][br]

# 4
KellyAM
KellyAM
11/22/2019 12:00 am

Hi:)

The 245 and the SE is slightly different. I traded the SE back in a few days later for the 245 because the 245 has a better neck (for me personally). They are both excellent guitars as far as feel and tone. The 245 doesnt give me the option of selecting single vs humbucker but I'm ok with that.

I went with the Line6 Modeling Amp and enjoy it thoroughly!

# 5
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
11/22/2019 4:33 pm
Originally Posted by: Wrams

...[br]I'm so tempted to purchase the PRS 2018 SE STANDARD 24 ELECTRIC GUITAR - TRANSLUCENT BLUE from Dawson for £475 but not sure what amp that's reasonable would accompany it nicely.[br][br]

@Wrams, that is a beautiful guitar and a great price. I just can't see much of a way you could go wrong with that guitars. I've thought often about checking out a PRS 24 fret.

As far as an amp, that is such a blue sky question, it would be hard to answer. So many options and it's going to, of course, depend primarily on what kind of music you play. And do you want to go with a tube amp or a modelling amp. As you saw, KellyAM started with the Fender Mustang and then went with a modelling amp.

I play most of the time through my Fender Blues, Jr. 3. I like it a lot. Great tone and plenty volume for me at just 15 watts. But I'm strictly a bedroom player and will never need something on stage. I also, like KellyAM, have a Line 6 modelling amp, a POD HD 500X. And I switch back and forth between them.

I wouldn't wait to long making a decision on the guitar. You might miss it. Then you might post in thePRS forum for some suggestions on amp. There are surely some users of an SE Standard 24 there and they will share what they are using. It is a very helpful forum and none of the vitriolic silliness that plagues so many forum is permitted there.

Let us know what you decide!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.