# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2019 9:18 pm
Originally Posted by: craftykenny

Has anybody got any cool tone settings for boss katana

You bet! That's a fun amp. But it depends on what you are trying to do. What style of music are you wanting to play? The Katana can do just about anything.

I did a whole series of demos using my Katana.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLlnl5iWw43icBvpfQQUpzkOKfLncd-bL

If you give me some idea of what kind of music you are trying to play then I can probably help you with some settings.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
craftykenny
craftykenny
10/11/2019 12:47 am

Thanks Christopher.i play mostly blues think Joe Bonamassa and alot of clean stuff think Mark Knophler,although i must add not nearly as well as either of those 2 gentlemen.All the best from Melbourne Aus Kenny.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2019 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: craftykennyi play mostly blues think Joe Bonamassa and alot of clean stuff think Mark Knophler,although i must add not nearly as well as either of those 2 gentlemen.

Got it.

Bonamassa often plays Fender Tweed amp (those brown combos). And sometimes he has a pretty overdriven tone, but it's the result of volume more than gain. For that type of tone I suggest using this:

Crunch amp type

Gain 5

Volume 7

Bass 5

Mid 6

Treble 2

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 5 (this is a really important part of getting that punchy sound of the pick attack to sound right)

For his cleaner sounding blues I'd recommend:

Clean amp type[br]Gain 5

Volume 5[br]Bass 5

Mid 7

Treble 4

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 4

A little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

For Mark Knopfler tone (especially that classic cealn 'Sultans of Swing') you have to start with the guitar. He used a Strat with single coils & set on the middle & bridge pickup. He also used a compressor into a mostly clean amp. And that's where you can use the Booster again!

Clean amp type[br]Gain 4

Volume 5[br]Bass 3

Mid 7

Treble 6

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 3

Again a little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

That will probably get you in the ballpark. But you'll have to tweak to get closer depending on your guitar, playing style & volume.

And that's the caveat with all of these: it will depend a lot on your guitar & how loud you are playing. The louder the volume, the less you will need the bass & treble to make it sound full. At low volumes you often need to turn the bass & treble up to make up for the lack of punch from the speaker. Hope that makes sense. You can hear it for yourself with a little experimentation!

Also, if you haven't yet, you might check out the Katana website for downloadable patches. I haven't use them but I did play around the Tone Central computer program!

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Hope that helps! Have fun tone chasing, but don't forget to play guitar more than fiddle with knobs. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
craftykenny
craftykenny
10/11/2019 8:13 pm

Thanks Christopher that helps a lot All the best Kenny

# 5
craftykenny
craftykenny
10/28/2019 5:58 am

Hi Christopher. If its not too much trouble i am lookingfor a mick ronson type tone circa the ziggy stardust era also a gary moore still got the blues tone.I play a prs se custom also a strat thru either a 80s blues junior or boss katana 50. All the best Kenny Mac.

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2019 1:01 pm
Originally Posted by: craftykenny

Hi Christopher. If its not too much trouble i am lookingfor a mick ronson type tone circa the ziggy stardust era also a gary moore still got the blues tone.I play a prs se custom also a strat thru either a 80s blues junior or boss katana 50. All the best Kenny Mac.

Mick Ronson is pure Les Paul through cranked Marshall. The really trick here is to get the cocked wah sound. I'm not sure how to set the Katana's auto wah to not open & close. So you might just have to boost the mids & add a fuzz.

PRS guitar on bridge humbucker.

Crunch amp type

Gain 5

Volume 7

Bass 4

Mid 6

Treble 8

Effects - Booster (Again!) but you'll have to go into the BOSS Tone Studio settings on your computer. Look for the 60s Fuzz effect. You might get by with the basic distortion setting.

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360005917451/BTS_for_KATANA_Pg_19-27_EFFECT_PARAMETER_LIST_GUIDE.pdf

Gary Moore's tone was a Les Paul on the neck pickup into an overdrive (supposedly a Marshall Governor pedal) into a loud Marshall (supposedly a JTM45).

PRS guitar on neck humbucker.

Lead amp type

Gain 8

Volume 8

Bass 5

Mid 7

Treble 5

Effects - Booster (Again!) look for a good overdrive (yellow) setting & try it around 7-8.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2019 1:04 pm

And you can check out the tutorial on the song here!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1770

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
11/01/2019 2:45 am

Here's an idea, C.S...........how about teaching that cool Bossa Nova cover tune you play in this first demo of the Katana asa G.T. course!!! That's wonderful!!!

I've often said the Boss Katana 50 is perhaps the best deal out there on guitar amps.....period........but definitely for under $200.00!! This mulit part demo ist wunderbar, Christopher!! Seriously consider doing that cool first arrangement as a lesson though!! I also own Bugera tube practice amp.......this sucker is huge great old school tube sound and phenomenal for less than $100!!! I hope G.T. doesn't mind my sharing all this but one way of looking at it is it gives G.T. members a great tone master amp to practice their many courses!! You have to be at least in the top five best friends to all guitarists out there, C.S.!! I mean it.........your advice and insight is phenomenal and always thorough and friendly!! Jim C.

# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2019 12:14 pm
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbohow about teaching that cool Bossa Nova cover tune you play in this first demo of the Katana asa G.T. course!!!

I'd love doing that! But I'm subject to the same process everyone else is. So, I've asked the GT admins to request some jazz standards from publishers & that's one I'd love to do. So far no dice! Song selection depends on what tunes the publishers are willing to offer. I will keep asking!

And I agree about the Boss Katana 50. It's a pretty amazing piece of machinery. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
11/01/2019 2:49 pm

I'll request it Christopher if you give me the tune title or description.....it's a familiar song and may need licensing ......this lesson has the potential to become a big hit for GT or at minimum......should be!! It may be a bit challenging but broken down correctly it could absolutely advance along many a player!! Bass, rhythm and solo all in one in a fun musical piece!! Dy-no-mite!! Oh wait......now I'm really dating myself with that JJ tag reference from a 70s era TV comedy.......I did watch it as a young kid though....but seriously.......if players can master your style here in this great arrangement then most other things on guitar would be a breeze!! Maybe others can watch and listen to that video ....agree with this assessment and chime in!!?? Jim C.

# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2019 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimboI'll request it Christopher if you give me the tune title or description.....it's a familiar song and may need licensing [/quote]

It's a jazz standard called 'Blue Bossa' by Kenny Dorham. This is the demo vid you're referring to, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifc_Xk5-Nrk

I also did a complete arrangement of it for my channel. In fact I did 2 versions with 2 different Strats. :)[br][br]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Ijn1_W2Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KDx1JTEx4

[quote=stratmanjimbo]

......this lesson has the potential to become a big hit for GT or at minimum..

[p]Ha ha! That might be a little overenthusiastic about an old instrumental jazz tune. But it is a fun one to learn if you like that sort of thing. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
11/01/2019 9:46 pm

Oh I don't know..let's see.........besides making Santana proud...learning dynamics and arpeggios plus all sorts of cool diminished and 13th? & 9th chords along with fingerstyle playing bass as well??? Pretty much a potential hit to me, C.S.!! I'd love to try this tamed down but just a wee bit on acoustic......Kenny impresses to this day and really........who doesn't really love a nice bossa nova??? I mean I'm open to all sorts of musical styles as long as it's good........and this piece is really very good!! Just a superior stand alone lesson with all sorts of tasty elements........OK...........I'll stop gushing.........but my spidey senses tell me I'm right about this one even if we disagree on Page/Plant and authoring "Stairway" sans stealing the main riff from Spirit and the band they actually opened for in the late 60s. I just know I'd feel like a better guitarist if/when I mastered this arrangement plus understood all the theory and Kenny's style......Jim C.

# 13
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 12:43 am

Can you perhaps give an idea for a Santana tone like in Samba Pa Ti and I use a SSS strat no prs ,,,,,, yet been trying to get that tone using boss tone studio can’t seem to nail it.

Thanks

Stone

# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2019 1:25 am
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimboPretty much a potential hit to me, C.S.!! I'd love to try this tamed down but just a wee bit on acoustic......Kenny impresses to this day and really........who doesn't really love a nice bossa nova???[/quote]

Glad to hear you appreciate the tune!

[quote=stratmanjimbo]I just know I'd feel like a better guitarist if/when I mastered this arrangement plus understood all the theory and Kenny's style

Sure, that's true of any good tune. You're always a better musician for having mastered a tune, really learned it inside & out. Good observation!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2019 1:26 am
Originally Posted by: mike.catalano776

Can you perhaps give an idea for a Santana tone like in Samba Pa Ti and I use a SSS strat no prs ,,,,,, yet been trying to get that tone using boss tone studio can’t seem to nail it.

Neck pickup. Lead amp if not brown sound. Lots of gain. I'd start here.

Lead amp type

Gain 8

Volume 8

Bass 5

Mid 8

Treble 5

Effects - Booster - look for a good overdrive (yellow) setting & try it around 7-8.

Since you don't have a humbucker dialing in the right amount of gain & mid boost is going to be the most important thing here! Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 16
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 9:01 am

Thanks I wil Def try this setting :)

Stone

# 17
yubeta
yubeta
04/23/2020 1:13 am

@ChristopherSchlegel

how about what you have figured out for country tones??

# 18
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
04/23/2020 7:30 am

I'm going to have fun with these settings Christopher!! Many thanks.

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: craftykennyi play mostly blues think Joe Bonamassa and alot of clean stuff think Mark Knophler,although i must add not nearly as well as either of those 2 gentlemen.

Got it.

Bonamassa often plays Fender Tweed amp (those brown combos). And sometimes he has a pretty overdriven tone, but it's the result of volume more than gain. For that type of tone I suggest using this:

Crunch amp type

Gain 5

Volume 7

Bass 5

Mid 6

Treble 2

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 5 (this is a really important part of getting that punchy sound of the pick attack to sound right)

For his cleaner sounding blues I'd recommend:

Clean amp type[br]Gain 5

Volume 5[br]Bass 5

Mid 7

Treble 4

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 4

A little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

For Mark Knopfler tone (especially that classic cealn 'Sultans of Swing') you have to start with the guitar. He used a Strat with single coils & set on the middle & bridge pickup. He also used a compressor into a mostly clean amp. And that's where you can use the Booster again!

Clean amp type[br]Gain 4

Volume 5[br]Bass 3

Mid 7

Treble 6

Effects - Booster (yellow color on the button) on 3

Again a little delay & reverb won't sound bad here & will flesh out the sound.

Delay (yellow) 2

Reverb 3

That will probably get you in the ballpark. But you'll have to tweak to get closer depending on your guitar, playing style & volume.

And that's the caveat with all of these: it will depend a lot on your guitar & how loud you are playing. The louder the volume, the less you will need the bass & treble to make it sound full. At low volumes you often need to turn the bass & treble up to make up for the lack of punch from the speaker. Hope that makes sense. You can hear it for yourself with a little experimentation!

Also, if you haven't yet, you might check out the Katana website for downloadable patches. I haven't use them but I did play around the Tone Central computer program!

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Hope that helps! Have fun tone chasing, but don't forget to play guitar more than fiddle with knobs. :)

# 19
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2020 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: andrew.colomb

I'm going to have fun with these settings Christopher!! Many thanks.

[p]You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.