Recording tutorial / recommendations on setup

gilouch0
gilouch0
11/04/2018 5:37 am

Hi everyone

First, just wondering if there is any resource, section of this website dedicated to recording / home studio ... ?

If there is no section, what do you guys recommend me ?

here is my potential setup :

Using an audio interface like focusrite 2i2 to either direct input my guitar in 1/4" jack or using a microphone like shure sm57 in front of the amp so I can still use all my effects from my boss katana and my additional pedals.

Maybe it is better to record the guitar signal clean straight jack to audio interface and apply fx in post?

what are your thoughts on all this? I am really new to this, wishing I could get some info but couldn't find any on the website. I am totally new to it, not sure about my choices for neither the audio interface, the mic, the setup, ...

thank you!

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/04/2018 8:55 am

I think the Boss katana amps have a recording output on them so you could use that straight into your audio interface instead of micing up the amp.

Adding effects post recording gives more flexibility to make changes at a later date than recording with the effects in place.

What DAW are you going to be using? There's a lot of tutorials on YouTube for the most popular DAW's out there, I use Reaper myself and if I've ever been stuck YouTube has always had the answer so far.

If you plan to do a lot of guitar based recording it may be worth you looking into guitar cabinet Impulse Responses too as they can be very useful in getting the right guitar tone in a mix.

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
11/04/2018 10:06 am

Ultimately depends upon your purpose, and budget. Not really sure what you're actually asking, as you're sure to have already done your homework, have certain brands and options in mind and are aware that the learning curve is as steep as a max ROC F-15 at full reheat. So what's to ask? No matter what you get, your wants and perhaps needs will change later, just like that first guitar to now.

Recording can be as simple and cheap as recording directly from your amp via USB into either its software, or freeware like Audacity, or preferred paid DAW. I've done this with my Blackstar ID: Core 40. Rachelf (You Tube) initially used her Yamaha THR similiarly, then bought Reaper.

Any comprehensive software DAW learning curve is steep IME, and so too usually, is the price of each feature plugin. Reaper OTOH is very affordable and has a solid reputation and huge following because of that, but I haven't used it -yet.

I currently use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC 204HD hardware AI similar to that Focusrite Scarlett, & Tracktion T7 DAW which it shipped with. How you record into it is a matter of purpose. e.g. Self-critique, You Tube guitar demos, amp demos, You Tube "look at me play", making music to sell with all post production work. Sometimes I use a hardware amp sim pedal, others a direct clean signal and edit effects in the DAW, other times mic'd up in front of one of my amps or via my PA mixer if jamming & singing with others. All in all, the whole process is a 'lots to learn' learning curve. Google it. Loads of info out there. It just takes time. Two things you will want if going down the DAW path if you haven't already got them are a pair of decent studio headphones and studio speakers on isolation pads. Those nearfield speakers were one of the best value most frequently used purchases I've made yet.

For me that desire to learn about home studio recording process led to a decision not to over-analyze it or let fear of making a purchase mistake get in the way. My mantra is to just dive in, now, without worrying too much about the depth or temp of the water to get the hands on experience and everything that goes with it, make the mistakes, sometimes even learn something, but above all have fun with it.

# 3
gilouch0
gilouch0
11/04/2018 12:35 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

I think the Boss katana amps have a recording output on them so you could use that straight into your audio interface instead of micing up the amp.

Adding effects post recording gives more flexibility to make changes at a later date than recording with the effects in place.

What DAW are you going to be using? There's a lot of tutorials on YouTube for the most popular DAW's out there, I use Reaper myself and if I've ever been stuck YouTube has always had the answer so far.

If you plan to do a lot of guitar based recording it may be worth you looking into guitar cabinet Impulse Responses too as they can be very useful in getting the right guitar tone in a mix.

oh I didn't know. planning to use reaper but i will have to learn it... what are guitar cabinet Impulse Responses ?

# 4
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/06/2018 6:57 pm

If you are planning to use Reaper then you will have tutorials on YouTube giving you step by step instructions from the very basics to advanced recording techniques so you shouldn't have much trouble getting started using that DAW.

Impulse responses are simulations of guitar cabinets and speakers that sound pretty convincing, if you are recording guitar straight from your boss katana you would load an impulse response onto that track to emulate the sound of the amp speaker being mic'd up. The bonus of recording ideas this way is you can alter the guitar sound very easily by changing the speaker or mic distance of the impulse response.

I use pulse to load the impulse responses into reaper, it comes with one can installed which is pretty good but I've got a version of a Zilla cab loaded with V30's I use most of the time.

You can download pulse for free from this link.

https://lancasteraudio.com/pulse/

# 5
gilouch0
gilouch0
11/06/2018 8:24 pm

Thanks man

I have started to watch the videos on the reaper website. I was using pro tools at school, I am positively surprised by reaper so far for the price...

Could you throw at me some links for additional stuff for reaper, IRs, VSTs, virtual instruments?

I was thinking to buy a midi keyboard controller, is there auto mapping with reaper?

Thanks a lot

# 6
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/07/2018 3:23 pm

I got the Zilla impulse response from here

https://jigsawaudio.bigcartel.com/product/zilla-fatboy-cab-impulses

So far I've not needed many extra get plugins for what I do in reaper, all of the stock ones that come with reaper have been good enough.

I use Steven slate drums to do my drum tracks and sometimes use a midi controller with that but it needs to be mapped to the software, this is done really easily though and I even found a YouTube video showing me how to do it.

Reaper is really quite clever the way it works and the ease of workflow in the program. I find it much easier than protools personally and a lot cheaper but it really comes down to which DAW you like using.

# 7
seyedali.ston
seyedali.ston
11/07/2018 3:54 pm

I do not believe in the modern equipment in sound recording, and I would love to do my best in any way possible without any reason.

[br]But if you are in an area with high noise, you need to use the noise of the gate.

Which is very effective in teaching electric guitar

[br]http://cocaian.com/

# 8
seyedali.ston
seyedali.ston
11/07/2018 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: seyedali.ston

I do not believe in the modern equipment in sound recording, and I would love to do my best in any way possible without any reason.

[br]But if you are in an area with high noise, you need to use the noise of the gate.

Which is very effective in teaching electric guitar

[br]http://cocaian.com/

# 9
gilouch0
gilouch0
11/07/2018 9:45 pm

So far I've not needed many extra get plugins for what I do in reaper, all of the stock ones that come with reaper have been good enough.

I use Steven slate drums to do my drum tracks and sometimes use a midi controller with that but it needs to be mapped to the software, this is done really easily though and I even found a YouTube video showing me how to do it.

Reaper is really quite clever the way it works and the ease of workflow in the program. I find it much easier than protools personally and a lot cheaper but it really comes down to which DAW you like using.

Did you try ezdrummer ?

# 10
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/09/2018 11:49 am

I did try ezdrummer first but I preferred the grooves and kits in Steven Slate drums, they're pretty similar in how they look and work.

Good luck with the recordings and keep us posted on how you get on with the DAW.

# 11
yiliayang0809
yiliayang0809
01/23/2019 11:17 am

You can select one from Google as per your actual needs. Any of them can record video on your desktop screen in high quality and help you create a tutorial in an easy manner. As for me, the following one, Joyoshare Screen Recorder, can show me flexible solutions to do this job.

# 12
derek_n
derek_n
06/14/2019 8:23 am

[br]Glad I found it![br]I don't consider myself a pro DAW user, since I am a hobbyist musician. So I wanted to know - as someone coming from another DAW - will there be any big hindrances about switching? Currently I'm using Studio One for general recording, and I heard that the Reaper is much lighter comparing to other DAWs. I would really like to be able to get all my VST Stuff working properly without spending too much time on relocating all the libaries or stuff like that. Is this even possible?

# 13
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
06/14/2019 12:16 pm
Originally Posted by: derek_n

[br]Glad I found it![br]I don't consider myself a pro DAW user, since I am a hobbyist musician. So I wanted to know - as someone coming from another DAW - will there be any big hindrances about switching? Currently I'm using Studio One for general recording, and I heard that the Reaper is much lighter comparing to other DAWs. I would really like to be able to get all my VST Stuff working properly without spending too much time on relocating all the libaries or stuff like that. Is this even possible?

Moving from one daw to another shouldn't be a problem, they mostly work in a similar way, one thing my friend noticed when he switched over to reaper was more of his plugins and vst worked in reaper than the other daws he'd used

# 14
dblum82
dblum82
07/23/2020 1:17 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0

Did you try ezdrummer ?

Giloucho......for drums go on fiverr.com and you can get drums done for you on ezdrummer for like $20

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.