Mic with GNX3

still_learning
still_learning
08/18/2005 5:35 am
Can anyone tell me how to use a mic on GNX3? I plug a mic in but it did not work. The user manual does not show anything on this subject, other than it recommends using a mic with cardioid pattern. I do not know what my mic is. Is there a way to test GNX3 on the mic input, to make sure it is working?

Gratefully Thanks
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2005 10:56 am
You'll need to find out if your mic is a dynamic or condenser mic.
Look up the model & number on Google.
If it's a condenser, you'll need to provide power to it.
Usually phantom power is provided by the mixing board, but it could also be a separate power supply.
If it's a dynamic mic then you have another problem that's probably more due to a bad connection or the thing is just turned off. (sounds dumb but there's been many hours lost due to things not being plugged in right or forgetting to flip a switch on.)

Cardoid only describes where the mic pics up signals from.
In this case mostly from the front or top of the mic depending on the shape of the mic itself. (cardoids are best for live sound use to control feedback and for cases where you don't have really good sound isolation)
Omni Directional is all around the mic (used for getting the sound of the whole room)
Bi-directional is from the front and back and less from the sides. (usually used by a group of singers using one mic.
# 2
still_learning
still_learning
08/19/2005 5:54 am
Really appreciate the reply.

The mic is a NK-633G Ultra Dynamic Microphone
• Unidirectional microphone
• Impedance: 600 ohms
• Colour: gold

I have checked the switch on the mic and the volume level knob on the GNX3. I also tested the mic with its guitar connection directly to an amp and it worked. I bought a microphone wire that is XLR connector so it can plug into the GNX3. When I use the XLR connector wire that I bought to connect directly to the amp, the sound volume is noticeably lower. I turned the volume level knob on the GNX3 with no effect (no sound) at all. I flipped the mic's on-off switch with no difference.

I am thinking perhaps the GNX3 is faulty, but do not know how to test that.

Is the mic wire with XLR connector (50 ft) part of the problem? Is there a way to test the GNX3 mic function other using my mic?

Thanks again
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/19/2005 12:41 pm
Sounds like its either the XLR connection or GNX3.
About the only way to check the cable is to use an XLR to 1/4" adapter and plug it into the amp & see if it still works. Either that or take it to somebody who has an XLR input you can test it with.

Basically you just have to narrow it down to the most likely culprit. The mic obviously works. I kinda doubt that it's the GNX3 cause in my experience it's usually the cables or connecters at fault.

The last thing I'd check before thinking it's the cable would be to check the presets and controls on the GNX3 and see if there's a volume control for the mic. It might just be turned down.
Also check to see if there's a line/mic input switch of some kind.
If it's switched to line input, you'll get no signal.
# 4
still_learning
still_learning
08/22/2005 5:22 am
I will check out your suggested items. Thanks.
# 5
RevRaz
RevRaz
08/25/2005 9:22 pm
Do you have your GNX3 set to include VOX?
# 6
still_learning
still_learning
08/26/2005 12:49 am
Not sure how to do that yet. What is that effect for?

But I did solve the problem with the mic. It always helps to read the manual and follow instructions. I even went to have someone test the mic on their machine.

Thanks a lot for your help.
# 7
RevRaz
RevRaz
08/26/2005 1:08 am
Its a setting that tells the GNX3 that a Mic is plugged in.
# 8
rangermazarello
rangermazarello
08/18/2017 10:31 am

Hi I know this is the same question you asked before like 10 years back and I have the same issue have a mic xlr cable the mic does not work when plugged in the gnx3. I hope you can guide me what and how to fix this. Or what's app me on +971566646803.please

# 9
renota
renota
09/06/2018 3:48 pm

the GNX3's power to unleash a guitarist's creative potential is fully realized in song writing. By utilizing the built-in drum machine and bass amp modeler, a guitarist can first lay down rhythm tracks on the built-in 8-track recorder. Then selecting from the GNX3's unlimited library of amp models, DigiTech's exclusive and powerful CIT™ (Cabinet Imaging Technology) feature, and a complete set of on-board effects, the guitarist can then lay down the guitar tracks. When that's finished, vocals can then be recorded on the remaining tracks using the balanced XLR mic input on the rear of the GNX3™. Even keyboards and DJ scratching can be added through the rear-panel instrument input. There's no limit! Plus, recording time can be greatly increased utilizing the SmartMedia™ card slot on the rear panel.

# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/06/2018 6:33 pm

Be sure to give attibution when copying material from other sites. It keeps Guitar Tricks out of trouble.

Have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.