struggling with positioning ring finger on G

amy.allard13
amy.allard13
09/16/2021 1:56 pm

hi i am a beginner guitar player and am struggling with getting the ring finger in the correct position on the G chord. I can play it fine if my ring finger is completely straight and rigid but when I have watched the videos of Lisa playing and other images of the G chord being played, the ring finger has a slight bend to it. I bend my index and middle fingers when playing the other two notes but my ring finger just wants to go straight!

I have attached two images, one is of my ring finger straight which is how I play it, and the other I've tried to bend my ring finger to show you how I think I should be bending it (I'm aware I havent moved my ring finger towards the edge of the fret in this pic).

I was just wondering whether it was okay to play it my way? The chord sounds fine and I get the best tone this way but I wouldnt want to cause any damage to my ring finger if it is completely straight and rigid. Is playing it like this bad for my finger? Probably a silly question but just thought i would ask!

Many thanks for any assistance.

Amy

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/17/2021 4:22 pm

Hey there! Unfortunately the links you've provided did not produce any images. So I'm unable to see what you are referring to. However, if you are playing the G chord your way and it sounds good and doesn't hurt, it should be fine! Everyone's body is different and your ring finger might be rigid when others' are not. If it causes pain, stop and reassess how you are playing. And as long as you can transfer to other chords as well. You should be good to go!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
gregmatt1
Full Access
gregmatt1
Full Access
12/05/2021 9:31 pm

This is exactly the same issue I have with my ring finger on the G. I think this is because I have short fingers. I've learned to go with the straight ring finger.It works fine and is just

more natural for me.

# 3
nazi.fa.rhadi3171
nazi.fa.rhadi3171
09/30/2022 7:11 am

I have faced the same issue. Can anyone help me?

# 4
guanliyun081
guanliyun081
06/20/2023 7:47 am

That's a problem for a lot of people. Don't worry too much about it. Normally, the left hand is more loving than the right hand. In addition, the ring finger and the little finger are the weakest fingers. So keep practicing over and over again. Your fingers will become more flexible and strong.

happy wheels

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.